HE351VE Remote Mount Turbo

wmoguy

Reaction score
well bummer guys, I blew the turbo up today. :dunno

Last night I noticed a drip of oil coming out the tail pipe, but didn't give much attention to it, because we had to finish our move first thing this morning.

Got the move done, and was going to run to Lowe's and get some odd and ends, and had the cargo trailer in tow. I got about 2 miles from home, and she flat out belched up her guts. I'm suspecting the seals popped, because the tail pipe and compressed air pipe has a bunch of oil everywhere....... I wasn't to worried about a run away given the uber long piping I've got, so I nursed her home (about 2 miles) where she sits parked.
From what I've read previously, it's almost cheaper to get a used HE351ve off fleabay vs. buying a kit and rebuilding these things. Looks like I'm going shopping on Fleabay for a new turbo.............:rolleyes:

Kind of a suck butt day for me, totally threw my back out and can barely walk, then a few hours later this. Bummer

wmoguy

Reaction score
well I had a little look at it yesterday and I've got oil everywhere in the compressed piping, intercooler, and of course the exhaust. Fun Fun Fun

Doc told me today it looks like I've got 1 or 2 herniated disks in my back. I haven't had the MRI yet. I think I"m gonna temporarily retire the 94' and go find something a little newer for my new "daily driver" that I hopefully wont have to tinker with. Once the back feels a little better I'll get around to tackling this repair.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
well I had a little look at it yesterday and I've got oil everywhere in the compressed piping, intercooler, and of course the exhaust. Fun Fun Fun

Doc told me today it looks like I've got 1 or 2 herniated disks in my back. I haven't had the MRI yet. I think I"m gonna temporarily retire the 94' and go find something a little newer for my new "daily driver" that I hopefully wont have to tinker with. Once the back feels a little better I'll get around to tackling this repair.

Sorry to hear about your back. Let it heal!

I just made a similar decision... the Dt project is taking longer than anticipated and not having a truck was becoming an issue, so I bought a cheap truck to get me by for a bit. Its a '94 460/ E4OD; it was cheap cause nobody wants to feed her, but older diesels are getting hard and $$$ around here for some reason. Anyways, hope you get better soon. Thanks for taking the time to write up your adventures with this turbo set-up! I think we all learned a thing or two. ;Sweet

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score

But;Poke....'94 is as new of an IDI as you can get
:dunnoLOL:eek:

wmoguy

Reaction score
I said temp retire not retire to the boneyard. Lol. I guess I should call it a sabbatical.

So I've been reeling trying to figure out what went wrong. I've been also reading up on newer pickups to figure out who's running what with WMO. I've read some articles about guys having issues with WMO sticking the veins on vgt turbos. I can't help but think this is what my problem is. I noticed on my last trip comin home that the actuator was shot. It would not move the arm. I wondered if I ended up overspeeding the turbo because it wouldn't open the veins? I suppose anything is possible. I have yet to tear the turbo down but I'm 98% sure the seals let loose. I've seen turbos grenade when oversped. Is it possible to pop the seals by over speeding it?

Thoughts? Maybe a vgt is a bad idea on a WMO driven diesel? I know if it comes to vgt turbo or WMO that will be an easy decision for my wallet to make.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.