HE351VE Remote Mount Turbo

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I now build 3psi @ 1300 rpm driving llike there is an egg under the go pedal. I've got to play with the setup a little as its too "tight" down low IMO. If I romp on it I can build 10psi before I get out of 1st gear and I get a little turbo surge. Time to relearn the turbo some

damn son!:eek:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update:

Ill get some video footage made up soon. Just got the exhaust manifold leak all buttoned up. Pretty sure I've had a leak longer than I thought I did. I now build 3psi @ 1300 rpm driving llike there is an egg under the go pedal. I've got to play with the setup a little as its too "tight" down low IMO. If I romp on it I can build 10psi before I get out of 1st gear and I get a little turbo surge. Time to relearn the turbo some

With it set like that now, what does your cruise boost and egts look like?

wmoguy

Reaction score
With it set like that now, what does your cruise boost and egts look like?

11-12psi at about 70mph. EGTs around 950.
It just felt "tight" (the engine)
Tonight I moved the "minimum" vein setting so it wasn't quite as closed off. What a difference that made. Engine just feels like its breathing better and actually less boost. Cruise boost at 70 drops to5-6 psi and 750-800 EGTs (on WMO) if I put my foot in it "some" it jumps to 15-17 psi really fast. Night time I find is a great time to see how hazy your exhaust is. I'm getting a very clean burn now.

This weekend should be a real testament to the setup. I'll have a 26' enclosed car trailer full of atvs and hunting gear. Trailer gross weight should be about 10k. I'll be climbing Cameron Pass. That's one nasty sum biscuit of a pass.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Your setup is allowing it to fully open up correct? I would hate to see you pull that pass for it not to fully open up and have EGT problems. You can see a closed down VGT can cause some high EGT's just cruising. I actually bet your best fuel mileage would come from it fully open cruising, less back pressure and all.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Your setup is allowing it to fully open up correct? I would hate to see you pull that pass for it not to fully open up and have EGT problems. You can see a closed down VGT can cause some high EGT's just cruising. I actually bet your best fuel mileage would come from it fully open cruising, less back pressure and all.

Yes I think it's opening up ok. I tested it with my air compressor and a relief valve so if saw 15 psi. It opened up pretty wide with that test.
Friday will be a good test for it though. Fingers crossed!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ya hunting this weekend?

Sounds like you're getting the truck dialed in nicely. Would love to see that sucker up close and personal............. like at the Rally.......... this coming July.LOL

Heath

wmoguy

Reaction score
What ya hunting this weekend?

Sounds like you're getting the truck dialed in nicely. Would love to see that sucker up close and personal............. like at the Rally.......... this coming July.LOL

Heath

Waterfowl. Family has been doing this trip for about 60 years to the same place. It's a fun weekend of hunting and family time.

Who knows, maybe time would allow me to sneak away next year to a rally :sly

Its been a while since I had a big grin on my face driving this thing, and I had a perma-grin this morning. I was going to shoot some video as I drove into town but it was pouring rain and figured I'd better focus on driving. :rotflmao

At this point, I'd say this thing passed the "proof of concept" stage IMO. Now I'm willing to fix the "ghetto'ness" stuff I used to cobble it together. (i.e. get rid of the rest of the flex pipe) and I'm going to look at buying that Fleece Performance controller.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad it is working out well for you now. It seems to spool really well for you and the fact that it cleans up all of your fuel shows how efficient that turbo is at those boost levels. The Fleece controller looks awesome! It gives a lot of tuneability as far as the boost curve goes and how quickly the vanes open. It will be ideal for your setup I'm sure.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Back from a GREAT weekend in the mountains w/ family, doing a lil camping and Duck Hunting!

The drive up started great, and I had perma grin on my face as the old IDIT really did well pulling the estimated 18k GCWR from 4800ft to 9276 ft. All was going well on the drive up until this

You must be registered for see images attach

Heres a short video climbing a 7-8% grade section of HWY 287. I have a few more short video's but they are being slooooooww to load to Youtube right now. I'll add these as they finish uploading.

http://youtu.be/VNuG3DElMWU

Few things I learned:

1. My Wastegate actuator that controls the vein position isn't working out too well. I can't seem to get full range motion of the vein actuator anymore. I've read these turbos need cleaned out on occasion, and may have to figure out how to do that.
2. 10psi is the sweet spot on this thing. Above 10psi, you can totally control EGT's regardless of throttle position/RPM or the overall load. (makes fixing #1 more important!)
3. THIS TURBO SETUP ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coming home today, I was able to run w/ some other guys heading home that have newer Super Duties, and a Common Rail Cummins. We all had similar size loads, and I had no problem at all keeping up with them on the mountain passes. Before, these same stretches of road, it didn't make for a very enjoyable drive. :eek:

wmoguy

Reaction score
wow, that is some carnage with that tire. did it hurt any thing on the truck?

Nope thank god!

I had a piece of rubber up in my tailpipe. Thank god when we built this, we put a piece of expanded metal in the tailpipe to protect the turbine wheel from this very type of thing. The exhaust smelled awful though!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle