Has anyone used an MLS type head gasket on IDI's yet?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I consider anything over 15psi to be high boost without decompressioning the engine. Thats the key with mine, I didn't decompress the engine at all, I was running stock compression in it, which makes that 15psi add up a whole lot faster.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Also, I saw that it said it was a graphite gasket. Does that provide any benefits?

THings like graphite on head gaskets are primarily used for engines with dissimilar material heads, i.e. iron block, aluminum heads to facilitate sliding during warm up. It allows teh heads to walk around freely without tearing the gasket. Not always the best way to go about things, but considered a problem solving gasket for engines that are prone to premature HG failures.
The MLS gaskets go the other way, in having a surface that grips fairly tight and a non compressable surface. With the MLS gaskets, the movement is allowed to take place between the assorted thin steel shim layers that float freely in between the two main outer gasket shim layers that stay put affixed to the head and block

HEad gaskets always have to allow for some amount of movement or they will simply tear. The best sealants used for head gaskets never solidify, they remain flexible to allow for this. The common practice of coating head gaskets with Hylomar allows for this movement as Hylomar stretches and maintains its seal even as it stretches into a curtain over gaps during movement then it slides back into place to keep a constant seal . That;s why this works so well ;Sweet

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC Flatlanders decompressed studded 6.9 with the compound setup did.
But may have been due to installers using too much lube on the the stud threads when DPS performance built it and hydro locked the studs not allowing them to fully seat in the block.:dunno

I remember my cousin in law mentioning the same thing to me when we put the studs in my motor, too much lube and they wont seat properly.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see, but to be honest between yours and flatlanders situations I've yet to hear about early failure with studs. Head bolts sure. Both claims don't point the finger at the studs either. A bad head job should take the blame over studs, and improper stud installation cannot really be blamed on them either. Having some with no torque or little torque as in flatlanders case is BS. The fact you had to tear into it shows the studs weren't the issue - which you already mentioned to be a bad head job. If the heads aren't flat they will blow...

By your definition what is high boost here? I've heard 12psi or less for stock head bolts. Most I've read about here with studs don't venture much past half over that. Ocassionally venturing over 20psi.

It would be awesome to have some phuzions available though:sly

I agree. I think it wasn't the studs either. I think we are easily safe at 20psi.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THings like graphite on head gaskets are primarily used for engines with dissimilar material heads, i.e. iron block, aluminum heads to facilitate sliding during warm up. It allows teh heads to walk around freely without tearing the gasket. Not always the best way to go about things, but considered a problem solving gasket for engines that are prone to premature HG failures.
The MLS gaskets go the other way, in having a surface that grips fairly tight and a non compressable surface. With the MLS gaskets, the movement is allowed to take place between the assorted thin steel shim layers that float freely in between the two main outer gasket shim layers that stay put affixed to the head and block

HEad gaskets always have to allow for some amount of movement or they will simply tear. The best sealants used for head gaskets never solidify, they remain flexible to allow for this. The common practice of coating head gaskets with Hylomar allows for this movement as Hylomar stretches and maintains its seal even as it stretches into a curtain over gaps during movement then it slides back into place to keep a constant seal . That;s why this works so well ;Sweet

So do you think that would be a good gasket for a 7.3? Also, is there anything like that done to felpors or VR gaskets?

Edit: Also, how much lube is to much for studs to make them not seat well? You just need a really thin layer right?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine was holding 15+ for a good 8k miles on it. That's just with new felpro gaskets and headstuds over torques just slightly.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Is your truck still running with good at that boost level?

I have been in these trucks making more than 15psi (towing) for atleast a couple hundred miles straight with no gasket failures. One particular trip was never under 15psi, usually 16-18psi, and 1250deg on the pyro. This motor did die an early death, but pistons, pins, and head gaskets were fine.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you think that would be a good gasket for a 7.3? Also, is there anything like that done to felpors or VR gaskets?

Edit: Also, how much lube is to much for studs to make them not seat well? You just need a really thin layer right?
Just a thin layer of lube...

From what I've read on other applications the MLS gaskets are primarily used for cast blocks with alu heads, not for boost retention. They were minimally better for higher boost. But these phuzions have a sealing ring that would far elevate the threshold there :sly

rwilles

Reaction score
My observation of the head gasket problem is from the outside and wanting to fix my truck right. It seems that when someone combines 1) bigger than stock turbo, 2) inter-cooler 3)20lbs+ boost the head gasket is the sacrificial lamb. I've read lots of these type of threads, here, Ford Truck Enthusiast, and Diesel Bombers, of people claiming failure (remember Abull?), maybe there was exaggeration involved, but I believe that Sean is an all to often 'exception' that I'd like to prevent at the get go.

The real point is how many people would want a higher tech option? My hope would be that a listing in this thread would indicate your interest that we can then refer manufacturers to.

Calls are still being returned on gaskets but there only seems to be 2 current manufactures of head gaskets for our trucks.
1) Felpro, composite,steel core, with rubberized coating. AutoZone warranty 1 year. installed in 4 steps to 87lbs on the 6.9 trucks and 110lbs for the 7.3 trucks
2) Victor Reinz, Graphite, Steel core, Silicone sealing lines between all types of passage ways. AutoZone warranty 2 years. Thickness is 2mm or about .078 and compresses to 1.1mm or .043 inches. This is the direction I'm leaning as the carbon fiber fills and compresses to a uniform layer. VR and Hypermax both use for high performance headgaskets

Seems the torque ratings are based on the max strength of the bolts. 1/2 grade 8 max 112 ft/lbs, 7/16 grade 8 max ~90 ft/lbs. VR at their Commercial truck web site http://www.reinz.de/pictures/39-00330-01_CHG-Commercial-Vehicles-e-lowA4.pdf says that an angle set to load instead of ft/lbs on a torque provides sets with 10% off of target. A torque wrench using the pop setting for the final set is of by as much as 30%. ARP says the same thing and that is why the require 5 or 6 steps to get to final set.

I think the problem levels might be associated with the engine as there are different torque levels for each based on 7/16 and 1/2 inch bolts. ut I have seen posts on 7.3 head gasket problems also. Might be much more important to stud the 6.9?

Corteco was sold to Rol 3 years ago, ROL Gaskets was sold to DC Gaskets in Mexico, a year ago. HKS only offers Japanese gaskets. DC Gaskets do currently have a carbon fiber gasket with a stainless fire ring, based on the FMoCo 93-94 original. They have no dealers in the US right now but are working to get a distributor in Texas and to provide an English version of their web site. The searches I've tried have all come back in Spanish. Their phone is 877-676-7704. Freddy Meyers transferred from ROL and has provided some good info. They may be willing to produce a custom gasket for us. Show your interest!

I did speak to an industrial gasket manufacture from New Jersey (Victor Rienz materials licensee) who indicated that they could do something like a Phuzon gasket in MLS. Because there would be some initial guinea pigs, he said he might waive the development costs but there would have to be some resolution as to design criteria. Thickness, type of rings, number of layers would all have to be specked out. His name is Peter T and I invited him to take a look here to gauge interest from us.

The $3500+ development cost from Cometic seem even more annoying after hearing the description of his process. 1)scan current example of the gasket or head into printer program, 2) edit the bit scan to clean up the corners 3) 'print' the gasket on a lazer cutter using the type of material specified 4) apply type of fire ring, 5)send rtv sealant with gasket to finish both sides of anti freeze holes.

He seemed motivated when I suggested Cometic would charge $350 for a set of MLS and $700 for a set of Phuzon (these rings are a product of another company that Cometic are putting in their product) gaskets.

Just some comments from the designers/ engineers about what types of head gasket do what.
-Composite with the soft coating is for engines that are not being rebuilt and have the greatest ability to cope with out of true surfaces. the AutoZone warranty of a year seems to tell a story.
-Carbon fiber compress into the imperfections and were on the 7.3 factory turbo motor. This is what VR makes and sells.
-MLS or Multi Layer Steel are good for complete rebuilds where decking heads and block can insure no more that .002 inches out of true. Surfaces that are not parallel put different loads on the solid surfaces in the gasket that promote failure. These can vary in thickness from .015 all the way up to .180. Might this be a way of lowering compression also? Someone know the way to figure how much compression is lost with a thicker gasket?

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Is your truck still running with good at that boost level?

Yup...other than a water pump leak that thing purrs away. Turbo is screaming when its 15+ psi so I dont do it all that often. All I know was I held it WOT and for a good 30-45 seconds I had my boost gauge pegged (0-15psi) so who knows what it was at, but it held it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone know the way to figure how much compression is lost with a thicker gasket?

ya it's called a calculation on volume and comparrison to the regular gasket and calculating compressed volume with piston at TDC and the cylinder volume with piston a BDC...that's it...simple...but very difficult too...variables n all...;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You've really outdone yourself rwilles. And yea the o-ring that the phuzion gasket uses is made by the very same company that made them for the allison and rolls royce merlin engines in WWII.

rwilles

Reaction score
ya it's called a calculation on volume and comparrison to the regular gasket and calculating compressed volume with piston at TDC and the cylinder volume with piston a BDC...that's it...simple...but very difficult too...variables n all...;Sweet

How did folks that reduced the 21.5 to 1 of their engines to the 19-18- or even 17 to 1 range calculate the amount to take off the piston tops? Using high school Alg1, cross multiply and divide, have to have 119.4% volume increase to yield 18 to 1 from 21.5. How do we find the volume of combustion chamber at TDC? Calculate volume of a full stroke?

rwilles

Reaction score
I'm looking at installing an MLS type head gasket on my brown truck. I just want to know if you guys think its possible, unless I head a nay from someone I know would know their stuff, I'm going to do it. For MLS gaskets to work the block and head surface needs to be within .002" flatness and have a finish of 50RA or finer. So I'm in for some work but I want this truck back on the road and I'm willing to step into uncharted territory to make it last this time.

To create a short list that we can work from please indicate you interest at putting money into this by thanking Sean's 1st post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online