Has anyone made a catch can for the CDR hose?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I was reading my dieselpower magazine and they did an install of a catch can on a 99 PSD. It was a device placed in the hose that had a drain that went down to a small tank under the truck with a release valve. It allowed the air to pass but not the oil. Here is the kit.

http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/152P

Due to the cost of this kit($335), I have no plans to purchase and modify. I was curious if anyone else had fabbed something up along these lines using parts from a hardware store.

When I had my 2000 mustang with a 3.8, it was neccessary to remove the PCV line or run some kind of catch can due to the large quantity of oil being pulled into the intake due to a bad valve cover design. It caused the motor to ping horribly, even with 93 octane. I saw some pretty nice home built setups in those cars. The only real difference I see from the mustangs to the IDI would be the hose size.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I made one using 4" PVC, a sock, a couple of caps, niples, and a oil drain valve.
I am sure the filter that kit is using is made by Fleet Guard, Donaldson, etc.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moose Truck has a weed sprayer filter on the RDT hose. I suppose it would work for a CDR also.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I wonder if just putting a T fitting in the CDR hose with the extra outlet going to a catch can would work. I'm not sure how strong the pull from the intake is. Would it likely just pull the oil past the opening or would gravity work with me for a change.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I remember a member from the Seattle area doing that. Used PVC, ran a 1" or bigger hose into and out of it, and had steel wool to trap the droplets. Seemed to work pretty good.

EricW

my $h!t is stuff
Reaction score
Dan, when you get this figured out, I have another IDI that could use one...

...or would gravity work with me for a change.

Are you kidding, gravity has been working with you since you were born, you ain't short for nothing.... :rotflmao:rotflmao

Hijack over

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Thats what I'm talking about, gravity isn't doing me any favors.

Guess I'll do some browsing at the home depot next time I'm out and see what I can find.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Racor makes a far better kit, ccv4500 Itis designed for heavy trucks, has an internal filter and the lower hose automatically returns the oil back to the pan. Tricky part is you have to really be working on the engine out of the truck so you can weld a fitting on the pan for a return.Or you can weld a return into a dipstick tube, or you can get one of those self puncturing hollow bolts that goes into an oil pan and use that for a return

All of these aside, you can fairly well weld up a can with baffles and order the return one way check valve from Racor and be all set