Hard start then stalls when cold

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit George.......Never mind pinning down Murphy. What'd ya do, tell him it was more fun to come down and play with me for a couple days.:backoff

Very first thing I did today after posting my last message was break the #%$# transmission dipstick-cuss . Ordered a new one from Ferd, be in tomorrow....another $45-cuss , damn, I can get 3 of your U-joints fer that.

Rest of day is going OK so far. Tranny slid in and lined up way too easy, 1st shot, easiest one I ever done so it makes me wonder what's next:hail
Murphy strikes twice.......If I catch him I'm gonna kill him.

Sumbeach broke my crapsman RV 22" lift floor jack, spent the last hour getting the truck back on the ground-cuss

Glad I use jack stands and wear glasses;Sweet ...She wouldn't raise high enough to pick the truck off the stands anymore so I figure it was low on oil and topped it off, that didn't work so I picked off one wheel at a time from the stands and on the last wheel she gave out on the way down, wham.... last tire's on the ground!!!, and blew the oil fill plug out past my head and shot hydraulic oil all in my face, tastes great-cuss ....got to hear the rubber plug richochet off the tin roof about 5 times till it went somewhere into never never land. Hope I can squeeze the tranny dipstick in tomorrow without jacking it up.

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'ts Alive

It's Alive, It's Alive.....Runs great, smooth and good power;Sweet Ran it for about an Hour or so. Just restarted it after letting it sit for a couple hours and it fired up really quickly and oil pressure came up fast and didn't stall.

The true test will be the cold start tomorrow morning.

Still waiting on the tranny dipstick tube....Moron at the parts counter ordered the engine dipstick tube....WRONG, try again....My guess is they will get in a tranny dipstick tomorrow instead of the tube:idiot:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet Hot dog, good work, comgradamulations, and all that jazz Mike. Feels good, don't it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks Shane,

Dayum skippy it feels good, feels so good I had to go fire it up a few minutes ago to hear it before I go to bed.;Sweet

Been a few years since I've been deep into engine work like that. Surprised how simple the Powerstroke 7.3 really is. Just looks scary under that huge bundle of wiring but the way everything hooks up is actually a no brainer.

Can't wait to get the tranny dipstick tube, if Ferd goofed the order up again I'm telling them to forget it and headed for the weld shop to get it TIG welded.

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score
It's Alive, It's Alive.....Runs great, smooth and good power;Sweet Ran it for about an Hour or so. Just restarted it after letting it sit for a couple hours and it fired up really quickly and oil pressure came up fast and didn't stall.

The true test will be the cold start tomorrow morning.

Still waiting on the tranny dipstick tube....Moron at the parts counter ordered the engine dipstick tube....WRONG, try again....My guess is they will get in a tranny dipstick tomorrow instead of the tube:idiot:

Awesome buddy.. Sounds like yer a kid again with a new toy.. LOL :rotflmao

Sounds like the normall parts screwups behind the counter there.. LOL Maybe you should tell them to order a whatchamacallit, and I bet they get it right...:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranny dipstick tube came in. What a PITA, getting too much practice at pulling the turbo off this thing.

DONE. This concludes the Powerstroke 202 advanced course, hmmmm I think I missed the 101 course somewhere along the line.:confused: She ain't perfect but it's 1000 times better than it was.....Somehow I Pooched the rear main and wear sleave I put in, oh well, it'll have to do for now marking it's territory....I did check the "Vally of Doom" and plugs in the heads while the turbo was off and nothing leaking there.

Thanks for all of the advice and moral support...Special thanks go out to GEONC;Sweet for the use of his stand, blood, sweat and tears.

Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish and feed him for life.

Better finish the kitchen remodel now before Mama beats me:hail :backoff

P.S. While I was at the Ferd dealer picking up the dipstick tube I decided to see how much the Burgundy striping and decals for the Lariat LE package was if I chose to repaint it completely stock this summer...... $1500.00:puke:Just for the decals... Damn, I only spent half of that reworking the engine. Guess it'll be custom painted instead, I can get enough paint, pearl, candy, clear, fineline tape and masking frisket film to paint 3 trucks for that price.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well how'd it start this morning after sitting?

38F this morning, Fired right up, ran rough for a few minutes and did stall once but fired right up again. HPOP resevoir did not run dry like it was before and oil pressure comes up fast now so that's fixed;Sweet

She does stumble a bit if you rev it with it in neutral and when it stumbles I get a puff of blue telling me it's not getting enough fuel, however when in gear accelerating hard no stumble at all, very smooth and good power:confused:

May be a little air in the system yet too as I havn't been able to take it fer a good stroll yet.

There's a good possibility that she had more than one problem and I've only nailed down a portion of it

Biggest thing was it WILL start now, quickly at that, and I can pick away one problem at a time at my leisure till I'm content. Thinking of throwing the spare HPOP and IPR on it to see what happens, won't cost me nothing but time. Gotta wonder if the PO put the right IPR valve in it too as it did look pretty new when I rebuilt it.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
SWEET!!!!! Sounds like it may still have some air it. Take her out and drive 'er like you stole it. That worked for me when we did the injectors. Congrats on a job well done!!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWEET!!!!! Sounds like it may still have some air it. Take her out and drive 'er like you stole it. That worked for me when we did the injectors. Congrats on a job well done!!!

Thanks Russ,

That's what I'm doing to her tomorrow, gonna cruise I-95 for a while, mabey run to Raleigh & back (60 miles each way) to check out some floor jacks at Northern Tool:D Kinda sucked crawling under it today getting the tranny dipstick in, had to leave the center of the truck over a dip so I could slide under the running boards without getting stuck.

GEO, whatcha doin fer lunch tomorrow...I'm buyin

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
DONE. This concludes the Powerstroke 202 advanced course, hmmmm I think I missed the 101 course somewhere along the line.:confused:

Thanks for all of the advice and moral support...Special thanks go out to GEONC;Sweet for the use of his stand, blood, sweat and tears.

Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish and feed him for life.

Better finish the kitchen remodel now before Mama beats me:hail :backoff

Now get that hall ready for those stairs :eek: ;p LOL and tell Mary I'll sample her cullinary skills next time ;Sweet

:cheers: Mike ;Sweet Wish I coulda been there more but I need a job to support my PSD habit LOL .....anytime on the help :thumbsup: just passing on the assistance and info I have received from other members like 94f450sd{Rich}, NJKen and the rest of the crew :hail
Allways a pleasure helping fellow oilburners !

I didn't completly drain the HPOP syst on mine and she stumbled for a couple days purging the air out so your trip to Raleigh will do her good!

Real test will be Fri/Sat ...supposed to be around 15 deg ........

I'll prolly be welding up some metal stairs today so hopefully I'll be close by to take ya up on the lunch :D

Like others have already said CONGRATS !!