Hard start then stalls when cold

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it out,

Upon closer inspection of the timing cover with the engine out I'd say the groove running between the oil slots in it is a good .030" deep or better:eek: I'll know tomorrow if there is an even deeper hidden problem with the pick up tube etc...

GEO, don't know if you'll get this before you get here with the stand but I got the hard part done, we can dig for the easy, fun stuff tomorrow.;Sweet ... I actually got this monster out without pulling the hood off. Came out easy on the first try without accidently leaving something attached, now if I can get it back together without leftover bolts I'll be OK.

You must be registered for see images attach

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news,

Internals look excellent and no sludge in oil pan or deposits under valve covers, pick up tube is good.;Sweet Biggest problem found besides the front cover are needing new seals on everything.

Truck was getting along fine with GEO until he slipped on a well lubricated glove:love: and got too intimate touching her turbo intake wheel....Bit him hard and deep-cuss Blood and guts all over the place:puke:

Of course me pulling the trigger on a Craftsman Professional 1/2" Impact wrench backed up by 120 lbs of air pressure from a 7 hp compressor didn't help either.....DOH....:sorry: ...:idiot: At least he has matching wounds on both hands now:D

Gotta go through the turbo now, looks to me like it may be the biggest source of the blowby on this engine after we rassled wit it and took her apart.

GEO that yeller odd Aliant Injector that says AP on the left side also has AD on the right side so it's prolly an AD reman like the rest except fer the AE in #8:confused:, gotta do a little more research here to see what's what.

Thanks for the help, Much appreciated, BTW Mama made Lasagna and was surprised you left early, she had big plans to feed ya, ya don't know whatcher missin. MMMMMMMMMM TASTY....If you hurry you can grab WW & get back here fer dinner.

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
AE is a long lead injector , used to fix the idle cackle

:thumbsup: We were thinking that but having one and a half IDI guys :D and one OBS PSD guy who combined have only read about those in passing......:rotflmao

tonkadoctor said:
......and got too intimate touching her turbo intake wheel....Bit him hard and deep Blood and guts all over the place

No worries!:D ...meat grows back and bones heal :hail LOL ;p

Mike, tell Mary :sorry: I had to leave early....we passed each other on Pope rd... concince got ahold of me and I went and put those metal ballusters in so I could free up Sunday....80 mi round trip ;Really for 2 hrs work cookoo but it had to get done..........just glad I was able to help in some way :cheers:

Besides....everyone knows lasagna is better the second day ;Sweet ....ya save me any LOL

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Geo
dont forget, my original psd was a 2000, so I know most of the tricks to the 2nd gen psd, but still learnin some of the 1st gen psd stuff.
Nick

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries!:D ...meat grows back and bones heal :hail LOL ;p

Mike, tell Mary :sorry: I had to leave early....we passed each other on Pope rd... concince got ahold of me and I went and put those metal ballusters in so I could free up Sunday....80 mi round trip ;Really for 2 hrs work cookoo but it had to get done..........just glad I was able to help in some way

Besides....everyone knows lasagna is better the second day ;Sweet ....ya save me any LOL

Remember what Mary said about just picking up a few items and I said it would be a truckload in the Yota.....Well my 9yo daughter walked in and flat out wispered to me...."she got a truck load".....Glad she won't drive one of the duallies, the yota with the cap on it puts a limit on her "just going out for milk and bread".....If ya ever go hungry here it's your own fault, you know where the kitchen is.

Told her your WW was home, lotsa Lasagna left...for now. I was wondering if you would go finish up that job to free up today, good thinkin.

Ya helped a bunch and prolly saved me a few headaches showing me some of the important details to look out fer.

I'm going out monday to check out a couple used timing covers I found locally for $100, Hopefully they are NICE if not I'm getting a new one. Then it's off to Navistar to order the bulk of the remaining parts and then a trip to NAPA and Advance for a couple things.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all ain't gonna beleive this

Went yard hopping today to check out a few used front covers I located in this area.

Came home with a very nice Front Cover with the HPOP, IPR and the CMP for $100 at the second place I stopped.;Sweet

The first yard I checked tried to pull a fast one, I told them I wanted to see the area under the Lube pump so the guy went in the back loosened the bolts half way put it on the counter and pulled up the pump 1/4" so I could see between the pump and cover. I took it from him, pulled the bolts and LPOP completely out and low and behold it looked just like mine with the grand canyon carved in it. I then told them it was junk & they might as well sell it for scrap aluminum, found out is was on a "Core" engine that was turned in to them:backoff

Picked up the front cover seals, Injector O-rings, up pipe donuts, new bolts for the turbo, fuel and oil rail plugs & orings, IPR rebuild kit, front seal and a bunch of other stuff for $330 at Navistar, almost everything was carried in stock;Sweet....was pretty neat that 2 of the seal kits from IH actually came with big tubes of the correct RTV so I have enough to last me many years.

Gonna order a Melling Lube pump from Advance at Autozones price as I want a new cover tomorrow. I love twisting their arm on prices like that and can't stand the Autozone here in town.:puke:

Turbo shaft is getting sent out to Ron's Turbo Shop tomorrow too for a balance with the Banks Wheel and getting a rebuild kit from him too. Banks Wheel, Rebuild Kit, Balanced and return shipping for $180

Going to call Jody tomorrow too, I'm thinking 80 HP econo tune, will see what he thinks will be best for a basicly stock truck

Getting fired up to hear it run again hopefully by the end of next week.:peelout

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Went yard hopping today to check out a few used front covers I located in this area.

Came home with a very nice Front Cover with the HPOP, IPR and the CMP for $100 at the second place I stopped.

Lucky bastige ;Sweet ....You check out that yard outside Clinton?

Where was those deals when I was down cookoo ...called just about every place in a 100 mi radius :frustrate

Get that block cleaned up yet or is it one big ice cube from pressure washing LOL

here's the pn for that dip stick to pan connector F4TZ6751B

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky bastige ;Sweet ....You check out that yard outside Clinton?

Where was those deals when I was down cookoo ...called just about every place in a 100 mi radius :frustrate

Get that block cleaned up yet or is it one big ice cube from pressure washing LOL

here's the pn for that dip stick to pan connector F4TZ6751B

Found it in your own back yard:rotflmao ....Wayne Auto Salvage in Goldsboro... I used www.car-parts.com to seach every yard in the area, made up my route and went for a ride. Figured I'd look at all of them on the way out and pick up the one I wanted on the way back, second one was nice enough to stop the search.

I ain't pressure washing nothin in the cold:backoff . Gotta pick up a couple gallons of cheap mineral spirits tomorrow to shoot through my old paint gun turned parts washer. Guess now that I have parts I better do something before Mama gets mad at me fer sitting at the puter all day.:D

BTW thanks fer the number.......Now do you have a part number for the fuel line O-ring you dropped in the vally of doom

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Got back into it after a few days off getting more firewood for the wood stove.

All of my parts are in except the Turbo rebuild kit and Banks wheel.

Installed the front cover & HPOP, rebuilt & installed the IPR ($20 & boy is that easy;Sweet ), replaced the bad glowplug in #7, put new O-rings on all of the injectors, got the valve covers back on and flipped the breather 180 degrees for an RDT(WoooooHoooooo my first mod:rotflmao , Next up is cutting the shaft off the EBPV and plugging the hole then removing the valve from the turbo)

Gonna put new HP oil and fuel rail plugs in shortly as well as a few other items. Hopefully get it buttoned up by Sunday ready to drop in early next week.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Mike!
Sounds like ya been busy:D .....I take it that eng stand is still holding :eek: LOL

Need anything that I can pick up or bring for ya? Hopefully I can make it by tomorrow....

I'm gotsa work today -cuss at least till noon or so in Wilson then I HAVE to change out my front hubs...can't put it off any longer....shoulda been done by now I know....... but time really doesn't like me lately cookoo

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GEO

The stand isn't even breathing hard holding this thing up;Sweet .

Don't need anything .......yet:D . Pretty well buried in new parts in my puter room and have plenty to do. Most of the topside is buttoned back up and I'm working on digging the O-rings out of those fuel lines right now, what a PITA, wish when they fell out on you, that they would have completely fell out instead of just part of it. -cuss

Give me a shout if you need a hand with the hubs or bring her here and we can change them out here, works good either way fer me. Ya gotta take care of your own truck too, yours is much more of a NEED item than mine.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it stuffed back in between the fenders, should be all bolted back up and running tomorrow night;Sweet .....If Murphy stays away:backoff