Hard start then stalls when cold

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the 2000 home and it runs and drives great. Very pleased with it for $8500, Seams most problems are cosmetic.

The engine has some blowby but doesn't smoke & holds great oil pressure so IMHO I don't think it needs an overhaul yet like the dealers mochanic said...."starts hard because of blowby"

Truck restarts great when warm and fair if plugged in all night.

When cold I have to cycle glow plugs about 4 times and it fires up idles really rough then dies like it isn't getting fuel, cylce the plugs a couple more times and it fires up, idles rough but keeps running until it smooths out in a minute or 2.

No codes in the computer at all.

I'm thinking it may have a couple of small problems that are causing the bigger problem with starting like the IPR valve, glow plug relay and possibly the EOT sensor.

I definatly welcome any other suggestions on what to look at to solve this hard start problem especially with the puter not telling me squat like I hoped it would.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
change the oil
check the gp,s and relay.
but souynds like an injector problem specially with the miles

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my truck.....I replaced the oil temp sender and that hepled a little (dont go to napa for it....they're part # is wrong)....my relay works so I think its my glow plugs....if i dont plug it in it almost wont start at all....it takes me like 5-6 tries of cycling my glow plugs twice to get it to finally go if i dont plug it in....if it is plugged in it starts like a dream.... i went to napa for glow plugs and they were champion and almost 14.00 each....I heard from multiple people only to use bosch plugs and theyre about 10.00 each...

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Motorcraft ZD10...about $9 at Auto Zone :thumbsup:

I still say first place to look is GP relay/UVC harness/pins...esp with the miles and need to check the secondary cold start =deep freeze coil element .....1" plug with heavy gauge wire in the front of the Y spider.

Second place to looky-look is at the fuel filter altho that year "should" have the newer inj seal rings .... but with that mileage ;Really

KISS principal :hail

I wanna see that truck :D ....just 40 minuts south of me....just gotta get there LOL

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Stay away from Champion glowplugs. :puke: I never used Bosch. When replacing glow plugs stick with ford Beru plugs. Auto Zone $9.99 each.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KISS principal :hail

I wanna see that truck :D ....just 40 minuts south of me....just gotta get there LOL

I'll even letcha drive it, just when you look at it stand 10 feet or more from it until I paint it this summer, looks great...They waxed this thing fairly recently, (prolly when getting ready to take it to auction before I called), and the white residue shows every scratch and chip in the black paint that accumulated in 325,000 miles. She's got a few issues but mostly little stuff that wasn't fixed like the door locks jamming, running board lights out on one side, 1 sway bar bushing missing rubber (found rubber in console) tailgate latch *****, trip puter not working etc.....

Definatly KISS principle, I'm a troubleshooter and get's too dogged expensive to just start throwing parts at it.:eek: Only trying to replace what is needed, not just wanted for now:D

BTW, new ceramic cooktop and double wall oven are getting delivered tomorrow so I'm not gonna be messin with the truck too much this week......If mama has a day off bring her witcha fer some grub...did I ever mention my wife is a chef with a degree in cullinary arts;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Champion glowplugs. :puke: I never used Bosch. When replacing glow plugs stick with ford Beru plugs. Auto Zone $9.99 each.

:yell:I wouldn't put a Champion product in a 1980 Chevette and from what I have read anything but the Ford or IH plugs is a no no on the IDI or PSD

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change the oil
check the gp,s and relay.
but souynds like an injector problem specially with the miles

Oil was changed at the ferd dealer as well as 2 new 850 cca batteries.

Hey cool so you need some help with the install of the stove and oven??
my dad was a typewriter repair man and he left me some cool tools... :eek:

Oh wrong movie...;Really

Ya hungry? The cooktop will be in first thing tomorrow & I gotta enlarge the opening so I can slip that 300 lb oven in, you gotta strong back? Oh yeh, bring cash if you wanna pick up the topper.

Last edited:

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kinda resistance should be in the GP harness while checking it....im planning on doing the glow plugs this weekend and my luck it will be the harness...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lower the better, definetly under 1 ohm. New plugs are in the area of .2 ohms.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havn't had time to mess with it much but it wouldn't start at all today. Decided to check her out good this weekend as it's supposed to be 63F here tomorrow and put off some inside remodeling work seeing mama's:love: happy for now that I got the new ceramic cooktop and double oven installed today;Sweet .

Out of curiosity because of the way it stalls after it first fires I decided to check the HPOP oil reservoir just now and it's bone dry and of course the Haynes manual doesn't say squat about why it would go dry like this.:confused:

Anything other to look out for when I start troubleshooting besides an obvious oil leak I havn't found yet.