Happy days!! Baby Moose coming to FL!!

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious (and please forgive me for hijacking the thread) but when you get a Baby Moose does it come with a governor spring to be able to turn a little more rpm's? And I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right question or not. But, I can only turn about 2800 rpm's with mine (1986 6.9 w/ 4.10's) and would like to get about 10 more miles per hour out of it and wondered if being able to turn more rpm's is the logical answer. Were these governed at 2800 rpm's from the factory? And congrats on your new pump, I really want to try out one of the Baby Moose pumps.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Well... I feel the collective has spoken about removing the pump,housing and gear as one piece. You really will never know the gears are timed correctly because you can't see them when you place the parts back on the engine. I do understand doing things the easy way but knowing that is important. I truely would do the pump change that way if I knew it was best... But it clearly isn't the best way of doing this job. Remember that the words spoken here are from many years of trial and error. Finding out that I messed up the gear timing and had to do it again ruins a simple job.. And then thinking about which way you messed up the gear timing will cause even more issues trying to find the correct marks. Typ4 ground a mark on the cam gear so he knows where the cam timing mark is. Still that does not garrentee the injection pump gear will mesh with that correctly. Over the meany years I have spend on this site and ... The other site... I have seen all kinds of ideas on how to make the pump changes easier. Roll up to tdc. Remove the pump. Then the gear but first make a mark 17 teeth up from the bottom mark. Then set the gear in place and make sure the line across the gear is level with the top of the water pump mounting plate... and on and on... Its clearly not worth the trouble taking that kind of a chance doing things like that... The dog catcher called me one nite asking my advice about an idi that was running horrible after someone in a shop worked on it. We brain stormed and I finally questioned the injection pump changeout. I felt the shop mechanic had installed it 180 degrees out of time by not knowing what the gear timing marks look like... Next day I got a call... Thats what was wrong. Some bozo had no idea what the gear timing marks looking like. These engines run but not great when they are 180 out of gear time. If your 1 or 2 teeth off on the gear timing you will never get them to time correctly because you run out of pump adjustment.. So I say this to bagpiperjosh.. You got lucky. You threw the dice and came out fine but do not think thats alsays going to be the result. Once you loose the gear timing you have a real mess on your hands getting it back....

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Blackflag... Your injection pump is from a school bus. They are the same DB2 pumps we have but the govener spring is set low so they can't speed up going down the road... Time to get a baby moose and turn it loose on the highways..

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for answering his question.. i only am learning what i read on here... after i get these parts installed i will move on the a better down pipe set up and 4" exhaust, and ungraded clutch..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Well... I feel the collective has spoken about removing the pump,housing and gear as one piece. You really will never know the gears are timed correctly because you can't see them when you place the parts back on the engine. I do understand doing things the easy way but knowing that is important. I truely would do the pump change that way if I knew it was best... But it clearly isn't the best way of doing this job. Remember that the words spoken here are from many years of trial and error. Finding out that I messed up the gear timing and had to do it again ruins a simple job.. And then thinking about which way you messed up the gear timing will cause even more issues trying to find the correct marks. Typ4 ground a mark on the cam gear so he knows where the cam timing mark is. Still that does not garrentee the injection pump gear will mesh with that correctly. Over the meany years I have spend on this site and ... The other site... I have seen all kinds of ideas on how to make the pump changes easier. Roll up to tdc. Remove the pump. Then the gear but first make a mark 17 teeth up from the bottom mark. Then set the gear in place and make sure the line across the gear is level with the top of the water pump mounting plate... and on and on... Its clearly not worth the trouble taking that kind of a chance doing things like that... The dog catcher called me one nite asking my advice about an idi that was running horrible after someone in a shop worked on it. We brain stormed and I finally questioned the injection pump changeout. I felt the shop mechanic had installed it 180 degrees out of time by not knowing what the gear timing marks look like... Next day I got a call... Thats what was wrong. Some bozo had no idea what the gear timing marks looking like. These engines run but not great when they are 180 out of gear time. If your 1 or 2 teeth off on the gear timing you will never get them to time correctly because you run out of pump adjustment.. So I say this to bagpiperjosh.. You got lucky. You threw the dice and came out fine but do not think thats alsays going to be the result. Once you loose the gear timing you have a real mess on your hands getting it back....

NOT TRYING TO HIJACK...but Gary's post is as correct as one gets...plain and simple. IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A BOO BOO IF YOU LEAVE PUMP GEAR COVER ON!

No matter what you will be able to time the engine if you leave gear cover on and remove pump from cover!

Back to congratulations on the Baby moose! Good luck with your purchase and installation!

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOT TRYING TO HIJACK...but Gary's post is as correct as one gets...plain and simple. IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A BOO BOO IF YOU LEAVE PUMP GEAR COVER ON!

No matter what you will be able to time the engine if you leave gear cover on and remove pump from cover!

Back to congratulations on the Baby moose! Good luck with your purchase and installation!

I feel like im almost being attacked/shunned for doing it that way. I'm not the only person to do it that way. I think it was actually easier and faster for me to do it that way. If you like leaving the cover on, then leave it on. But i took it off, marked it correctly and had no issues. There really is no point in discussing this more. You have to do what works for YOU.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WORTH THE MONEY! on a side note. his instructions say to not remove the timing cover. I found it darn near impossible not to... so i did.. I just marked the area behind the cover with a marker so i knew where to put the gear back on, and i had no issues. You just have to be precise

Don't type that too loudly :rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't take the gear cover off. Period. Why introduce the possiblity of an oil leak and gear misalignment when it is totally unecessary. Doing so, would be like cutting off your finger, so you can pull a splinter out of it, then getting your finger sewn back on. totally without purpose or need. I've replaced dozens of pumps and never needed to do it to ANY of them, regardless of turbo, engine compartment, or year. All Moose products are governed to 3200-3300 RPM.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big thanks to Dennis - 77f250diesel, for offering to assist with replacing and timing of the IP.. Very cool to offer that assistance to someone who he has not even yet met.. Spoke to him last night and seems like a great guy with the "know how" to get me fixed up right.. Thanks again and in advance Dennis...

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a baby moose and injectors showed up at my door yesterday!!! can't wait to get them installed...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726