Guess how much this hitch can handle

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started cutting and welding this weekend. I've been able to hack away at it mornings and evenings when it isn't too hot.

The pics show the "boxed" receiver support, and the plate gussets that will transfer the load out to the drop legs. The angle iron the gussets are clamped to is not part of the hitch. Not shown are the triangulated braces going forward to the frame.

You must be registered for see images attach

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've sorta left this thread hanging, the reason being that I haven't finished the hitch. The welder died as I was burning in the assembly. I have about 700 miles of towing 5000-7000lbs on the hitch as it sits, and have inspected the welds closely. Currently I have two cracked tack welds where the receiver tube runs through the existing bed. There are only tacks on the red braces that tie back to the frame, showing there has been no strain of the original drop legs on the bed. The welder is still out for repairs, but I'm confident that when the welding is finished, the hitch will be able to handle anything the truck can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828