Greasing problem

abelows

John Deere driver
Reaction score
What do you do when you have a grease fitting that seems stuck...i tried with a new fitting and i still cant get grease out of the gun.

Could there be dirt inside ?

Or is it jut time for me to remove that pin & bushing and take my wallet out ?

First thing to go wrong in years...lucky me.

Thanks

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Does the zerk go through the bushing, or through the pin?
If it goes through the bushing, remove the zerk, and use a drill bit(without a drill), to auger out the crud. Flush out with carb spray or solvent, and see if the bushing shifted. If not, try the zerk again, and see if it was the crud you dug out.
If it goes through the pin, do the same thing, but only to dig out all the crud that builds up in the pin channel. Probably won't get it all, unless the pin is angle drilled, instead of cross drilled.
If that doesn't get it, you could still try an impact greaser. If that won't get it, then you will have to dig deeper.

Does this count as my 1 tech post for this year? :rotflmao

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
after the aboue actions have ben taken I like to try a little heat to loosen things up. watch out for the little ball in the zerk if ya get it too hot and under pressure it likes to come outa there mighty fast.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a tool made for such situations, it's a plunger you fill with WD40 etc, put it on the fitting and tap the top with a hammer which injects the PT oil inside to loosen the hardened grease. You can get them at http://www.awdirect.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=19005

I've had good luck with a little heat to melt the old grease, then pump new through to clean it out.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
I've tried heat on the ol Ford kingpins before. Did this on an old pickup of mine, but it then locks up again shorter after. Even with daily driving the pins would not allow grease just 3000 miles later.

It's a quick fix, but sooner or later it will have to come apart.

ship660

Reaction score
What works very well is what Mr. Roboto is talking about. I think the one I have is called a zerk buster. Just fill with a light weight oil put it on the zerk and hit it with a hammer. Uses hydraulic force to get the old grease forced out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online