Got your thinking hats on?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
How many sources of Fuel in the oil have we found.There is a truck in MA that has fuel in the oil.Has new lift pump ,it was installed to stop fuel in the oil but to no avail. Has anyone heard of an Injection pump seal causing this problem,I don't believe this is likley? Maybe an injector leaking down? Comments or suggestions the truck is 1600 miles from me-with an inexperienced diesel guy.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes Bill, I think it was Mel that posted the information on the injection pump seals leaking and the fuel going into the motor oil. How many miles are on the injection pump and is there any ruff running like an injector not spraying correct...

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can fuel get by the rings? I doubt that much fuel would make it by the rings, without having lots of oil getting by the other direction and causing a runaway. Just thinking out loud.

akoldnav

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd have white smoke rolling out the exhaust from a leaking injector before you'd get (measurable) fuel into the pan through the piston rings.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its going to be the injector pump. The early DB2s had only one pump seal, not two. in fact many of teh pump vendoprs will no longer accept these old styles as cores. These will dump a lot of fuel into the pan. It happened to my buddy with histruck. The rings can let soem fuel in, but it would be either from a very worn motor with blowby or from extended idling or very low RPM driving, and then it would probably be detectable only in oil analysis before you'd see it in the pan.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
It could still be the lift-pump. Not all new parts are good and diaphragm damage is one of the reported problems on the new style pumps if installed with the pump lobe in the wrong position.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The instructions have to do with the new style Carter lift pumps with the eccentric type arms. they must be installed at a certain position on the camshaft lobe. The old style pumps were more forgiving, like the ones that I used from Master. That having been said, the injector pump is probably it if it is the old style without the external weep hole. These were usually on the earlier 6.9s.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
See after all this time on deisel sites I forgot a very important thing-
1994 F350 CC factory turbo.
You can slap me nowcookoo :confused:
Thanks for the input.

itsfred

Reaction score
fuel in oil from injection pump

Happened to mine at 111,000 miles. Had fuel in the valley for a month or two, then it quit. after that oil pressure dropped. checked oil and had it about an inch too high on the stick. i checked the lift pump it was ok, chenged injection pump and since i was there i did injectors and glow plugs too. (also changed oil)

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
If the valley pan has been compromised (rusted through?) or the plug that holds it down in back is loose AND you have fuel leaking, fuel could get into the oil. Return lines, supply line at the back on the pump, ??.
If not a bad new lift pump, check the valley pan drain to see how well it drains and to see if stuff can go anywhere else.
Good Luck
James

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the injector pumps capable of leaking thru the front of the shaft and into the gear/oil fill housing?

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. Just because it's a factory turbo doesn't mean it didn't somehow get an older pump on it unless it's known to be factory. Even if it is a newer pump, maybe somebody forgot to drill out the weep hole, or put in a seal. They are hand assembled by humans you know. :rolleyes: LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where in MA is this truck bill?i might be able to do something for the owner.i also have a shop out in whitman,MA.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Thanks Rich -I'll keep that in mind,and call you if he still has problems.
He changed the lift pump and after 1400 miles he had fuel in the oil again.
He just changed the lift pump for the second time-I serously question it happening again from the lift pump.Yet I would have pressurized the lift pump by manually deadheading it with a plugged outlet line and a full charge of fuel in the pump chamber.
He plans to leave Wednesday ( 1600 mile trip) for Ok for a visit ,so I am concerned.Wish I had been there personally to assist him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online