got my factory turbo on, and all i can say is wow!!!

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt touch the fuel screw on it at all, didnt wrap the up pipes cause i didnt have the money, i unplugged the wastegate and put my boost gauge in that port, and it even has the crushed factory down pipe, it whistles like crazy from idle to redline barley has any exhuast sound at all, it has no pipe past the crushed downpipe the turbo whistle is almost like a 6.0, QUOTE]
So how come i have a 93 with a factory turbo and i can hardly hear the whistle? I want more whistle! :) It just has a three and a half inch exhaust straight back. would that quiet it down?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i didnt touch the fuel screw on it at all, didnt wrap the up pipes cause i didnt have the money, i unplugged the wastegate and put my boost gauge in that port, and it even has the crushed factory down pipe, it whistles like crazy from idle to redline barley has any exhuast sound at all, it has no pipe past the crushed downpipe the turbo whistle is almost like a 6.0, QUOTE]
So how come i have a 93 with a factory turbo and i can hardly hear the whistle? I want more whistle! :) It just has a three and a half inch exhaust straight back. would that quiet it down?

I have an open element air filter, and have the downpipe open under the cab:dunno

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am no longer impressed by the 8psi free reving I finnally rememberd to try it with my truck and saw 5 psi and I have a massive exhaust leak between the up pipe and y

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ok I am no longer impressed by the 8psi free reving I finnally rememberd to try it with my truck and saw 5 psi and I have a massive exhaust leak between the up pipe and y

i just found out this evening i have a leak between the turbo and were it bolts to the ehaust, can i get a gasket somewere?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I seem to remember you were having EGT problems too. Maybe it could be related (assuming it was a broblem back then, just wondering)

No way mine can boost unless pulling against something though. Either brakes or a load down the road. Trying to stomp on it in park or neutral results in a slight vacuum signal on the boost gauge.:puke:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I seem to remember you were having EGT problems too. Maybe it could be related (assuming it was a broblem back then, just wondering)

No way mine can boost unless pulling against something though. Either brakes or a load down the road. Trying to stomp on it in park or neutral results in a slight vacuum signal on the boost gauge.:puke:

kinda sounds to me like the factory turbos aint as bad as everyone always said:dunno were i got the pump set now i built 14psi at 80 mph this evening with absolutley no smoke, but now after i turned the fuel down it dont boost nearly as quick as before and dont have the same power as it use too, it dont start to pull hard now till around 2500 RPM

Anyone know were i can get a T3 exhuast flange gasket fairly cheap?

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, no EGT problems exept when pulling hard in 4th on STEEP long hills dont have enough RPM to overcome the exhaust leak in my up pipe to build the 8psi I'm fuled for. I think your remembering when I first put the 6.9 in my 7.3 was a tooth retarted aparently so when I bolted the pump up in the same position it was like 20+* advanced had some balls at low RPM or flat ground but any load and EGTs would skyrocket. Oh and it smoked pretty good but it still passed smog. Try reving your truck clear to the governor I swor my truck built no boost just reving but this was the first time I reved to the governor.

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
mine wont spin em, all i get is horrible wheel hop enough to bounce me outta the seat (this is with 35s, N/A and a ZF hand shaker)...so i dont do it anymore. last time i scattered a rear u joint and busted a brake line trying to stop it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine wont spin em, all i get is horrible wheel hop enough to bounce me outta the seat (this is with 35s, N/A and a ZF hand shaker)...so i dont do it anymore. last time i scattered a rear u joint and busted a brake line trying to stop it.

Mine usually does some pretty vilant wheel hop to start with but i alwyas dump the clutch at 2000rpm then stick it to the floor, once it hits about 4000 the wheel hop stops and the tires start smoking:sly

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont think the factory turbos are to bad, i can see 3 psi revving it to about 3 and back. i can only build about 7.5 boost, it gets there quick but stops, i havent played with my wastegate yet though. i also get some violent wheel hop, been following the traction bar thread to get ideas.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i dont think the factory turbos are to bad, i can see 3 psi revving it to about 3 and back. i can only build about 7.5 boost, it gets there quick but stops, i havent played with my wastegate yet though. i also get some violent wheel hop, been following the traction bar thread to get ideas.

Im also probly going to look into traction bars, i think me and dustin are going to try to build us some for our trucks,

I need to get my leak stopped so i can build more boost and i need to get an air filter for the stock ford box so i can hook my ram-air up instead of the stupid open element intake that draws hot air in:puke:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, at 14 psi, the factory turbo is blowing a lot hotter air than doing anything with the air filter is gonna make up for...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i have the stock air cleaner assy, hypermax cowl kit, stock down pipe into my 4 inch stack. no boost gauge yet. but i can hear that thing whistle all the time. almost sounds like a vw turbo, screaming. lol it is so high pitched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle