got me a new toy! turboed also!

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
try putting the truck in neutral,not in park and that may be your key problem

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man you might have somewhat hit the jack pot for me. I went out and wiggled the column in park then tried the key and now it is clicking at the starter with me using the key. It sounds like its trying to engage but its still not turning. It must be in the starter somehow between the power and the solenoid to not engage.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would not do any thing in any other position. I will just have to wait and order a gear reduction starter when I get the money. I just hate to have a truck sittin there and not being able to fix it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
would not do any thing in any other position. I will just have to wait and order a gear reduction starter when I get the money. I just hate to have a truck sittin there and not being able to fix it.

If its turning a decent speed and getting fuel it should pop off with a little shot of ether

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will turn when the starter was off and I went strait to the solenoid side. It will not turn with it hooked up in the truck with the way it is wired up. I figure there is something wrong in the starter solenoid. When I had it wired up wrong I had the ignition wire hooked up to the hot side of starter and when cranking over it was trying to pull all the power through that little wire. Kinda confusing trying to explain but if I am right there is a issue in the starter. I will get it checked and see what the starter shop says on my next day off during the week.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
That was what I was trying to say. What does the main power (fat cable) hook to on the batt side? It should go from power down to the starter. It only gets to ground through the selonoid when the small wire engauges AT the starter.

So, large wire to the starter from the batt, skinny wire from the ignition, and a pair of batt cables (thinner gauge) from the batt to the selonoid and from the selonoid to the selonoid on the starter. I will try to get my old pix up to help you.

SWS

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If im reading this right, you are turning the key and nothing is happening, correct? But if you jump the start solenoid, the starter turns over. You might just need a new ignition switch (the one in the column actuated by the rod from the key). That might be bad and not sending power to the solenoid. Also, if the ign. switch is bad it might not be sending power to the fuel solenoid on the IP. It was bad on my truck when I resurrected it from a 9 year slumber, much like what you are doing.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
X2. Hung up on the wiring, and forgot to address this. The reason shaking the column causes this is because the rod that slides into the ignition switch shakes back and forth (seen it several times). The switch could be loose, and just need to be tightened, OR, you may need the expensive part. I think they are like 9 bux. If that does not fix it, there is a split in the wiring. Seen that once or twice too.

SWS

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well got to thinking last night after looking on ebay at those gear reduction starters and went to the shop to look at the one one my 4bt. It is the same but it is missing a third bolt on one side. I got it installed last night and then started messing with double checking all the wires. The passenger side where the cables meet the connection that clamps on the battery just broke in half with me taping on it. I went to town and got me some ends and new battery clamp then went home to redo the cable. After all was said and done I twisted the key and it cranked over. I have tried several times but no luck on starting. The glow plug controller seems to be cycling but I doubt that the glows are any good. With my truck having the turbo on it should I squirt the either in the turbo or down the hat bolt area? I also noticed the oil looked a little to full so I am wondering whether its dumping fuel some how. I am going to pickup my daughter from school and while I am out going to get a few gallons of diesel and a can of either.

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check for voltage at the fuel solanoid, if none than jump a hot wire to it. turbo should be fine, remember jus a tap is enough either for a diesel. mine became a junky after a couple months then ate the valves after a year. oil should be ok unless its really thin like wd40. a heat gun aimed at or in the intake of the turbo or turbo intake adapter helps alot.

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ether will not hurt a diesel engine, as long as you dont use to much just use i small amount,

i have used it for years

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I messed with it a little more with some either and no go. Even with good voltage and the gear reduction starter there is something binding. After 10 seconds of turning over the starter gets real hot. Looks like this truck will be turning into a parts truck!-cuss

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from the looks of it with the way the crossover pipe is and how it goes up the passenger side it may work for me in my mercury. If I get some 3.08 gears I will put it in my truck also. I will let yall know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online