got me a new toy! turboed also!

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys I traded me a few junk vehicles today for this truck. It is a 1991 f350xlt extended cab 2wd dually. It is a 7.3 e40d with 4.10s. It has a full ats turbo with full ats exhaust. It does not have a starter on it or batteries so I am hoping thats all it needs. There is a new starter in the front floor board so I am thinking someone just got tired of the truck. It has boost egt and tranny temp gauges also. It also has a pretty cool airbag kit on it that rides on the rear shackles rather than the rearend. I guess its more for ride quality than leveling. Any way needs a good cleaning and some body work. Hopefully it will turn into my every day driver.
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Right away I see you really need an sir filter... If you run it without one just be careful... They can suck in all kinds of fingers and rags... Also the return lines appear to original so replace them later on. That may be why the rig ins in the condition it is now... Cranking tooo long on the starter burns them up. Usually the long cranking is air in the system or bad glow plugs. Nice rig too...:thumbsup:

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
awesome deal i would say ... ive seen a few airride setup's like that and yes it does alot for ride quality but it will help a little with capacity

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the air box off to be able to work on it and clean stuff up. The whole top of the engine is slightly grimy! It shows 88000 on the dash so I figure closer to 200000. I just hope that when I get it to crank it doesn't knock. Knock more than it should I guess I should say.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys went to town this morning and found 4 used batteries off a wreaked semi and bought 2 of them. They are both less than a year old and are holding a good charge(1000cca). I installed the new starter. I cleaned all the ends and put them on the batteries and jumped in the truck and with the turn of the key I hear a electric fuel pump and the glow plug controller going on and off. I listened to that for a minute and then tried to crank but nothing. I tried a few more times but nothing. I finally tried to jump it across the solenoid with the key on and it dragged a few times then my small wire from the solenoid started smoking. What do yall think it could be? I know one of the ground wires has some missing plastic on it but I taped it up and all the rest look ok to me. I also had my driver hooked up to it while I was trying to crank it. Any help would be appreciated.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I went back out side and tried again and it is still draging pretty bad. I have figured out one thing about it though, Its going to need a whole new return kit on it as every cap is leaking. I guess I will go ahead and do the return kit and new glow plugs. I hate to spend money on it without knowing if the engine has a knock in it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If the starter is dragging and its new, then you need to check the batteries and cable out, it should crank and run with leaking return lines, disconnect the glow plugs and give it a small shot of either

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
My 86 was doing the samething with a new starter. I replaced the ground cables(They were tabed but still got corrosion) at auto zone. (Gold ones are 2 gauge) Now she don't drag or complain. Turns over way better now too. Around $20 for both so not really alot.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt its just what I would do..... :D but at this point I would save your money and just get some new O-rings from a hardware store (I can get you the size number if you want) and petroleum jelly and clean the caps you have really good. I have done this in a pinch and it's worked great--no leaks. Then fire it off with ether and let it get up to temperature. You could be into it several hundred to find out it has problems. Best of luck!

Btw nice truck! The 088 ATS is icing on the cake :sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before spending any money put a 15/16 inch socket on the crank pulley bolt and hand turn the motor thru at least one complete cycle. That will tell you if the motor is frre.. You bought something that was not running... Finding out the whys is the next item... Its kinda like a treasure hunt... Hopefully in the end you will find a treasure.... We are all on your side with this...

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt its just what I would do..... :D but at this point I would save your money and just get some new O-rings from a hardware store (I can get you the size number if you want) and petroleum jelly and clean the caps you have really good. I have done this in a pinch and it's worked great--no leaks. Then fire it off with ether and let it get up to temperature. You could be into it several hundred to find out it has problems. Best of luck!

Btw nice truck! The 088 ATS is icing on the cake :sly

O-rings are #111. ;Sweet

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I messed with the ground cables and one had a ton of corrosion in the middle of one. I replaced that cable with my power cable that I used on my 4bt and it cranked at the same speed as before. I rechecked my batteries after cranking and they showed 12.9. If when I crank over the engine and it does nothing what could it be? Usually in this situation the starting solenoid clicks or makes a racket but it doesn't. I have to short across the solenoid to get it to turn over. After the engine turns over 2-3 times the wire going from the starting solenoid to the starter goes up in the stinky smoke. The wire is very soft and limp and I am going to change it out with the one I was using on my 4bt. It seems to me this wire should not be acting like this because it is there just to trip the engagement from the power going to the starter from the battery. Also as before it still will only turn over with key on and me triping it from the starting solenoid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online