Got another IDI in the family.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Got another IDI in the family. (Now with carnage pics)

My sister thought an IDI would be a good vehicle for our parents. In some ways yes, in some ways no, regardless we have it now. It's a 1991 F-250 super cab with an N/A 7.3 and a 5spd. She bought it unseen from a local auction for about $1500 after fee's and what not. I wish she had looked at it first because it needs a lot of work. The motor and transmission seem solid, idles smooth, plenty of power, no smoke and almost no blowby out the filler cap. It looks as though the PO was out playing in 4wd when the driver side u-joint let go and bound up causing the front driveshaft to turn into a swirly cone. It only has one battery, cable was hacked off so I can't hook another one up, tach sensor wires cut off, return lines leak like crazy, glow plug harness is busted in a few places, there is actually an extra battery cable coming off the controller to connect to the battery to run them. The ABS light is on but someone painted over it so they wouldn't have to see it. The Engine light is on as well, though I have no clue what that could indicate. Oil pressure gauge doesn't work, windshield trim is gone, core support has been cracked and rewelded, aluminum spacers under the hood hinges and latch. It has an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and the pressure is good, the oil is clean, but the coolant is really dirty and has some RTV floating in it from a crappy water pump job. The motor only has one small oil leak from the front seal though. Expect to see some questions regarding this thing popping up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The check engine light could be on because the factory oil pressure gauge is unhooked, and that would explain the factory gauge not working also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The check engine light could be on because the factory oil pressure gauge is unhooked, and that would explain the factory gauge not working also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I guess that wouldn't be a surprise, apparently this guy just cut the wires to everything that stopped working. I will get a better look later, I will be bringing it over to my place tomorrow to work on for a bit. Gonna get new batteries, cable and return lines and fix the glow plug harness. Once I know it can start reliably I will start fixing everything else. I will post some more carnage pics of the PO's handy work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the previous owner felt if he had issues with something he hacked it out.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Wow, a rolling example of what I loath in a used vehicle. I know it's used, but come on. some people need their hands cut off with a axe when they start thinking of "solutions" like any of those...

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got the truck over to my place and took some pictures of the carnage.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
My god. Heh. I stand by my previous statement. Anything over $5 is a rip off. Reminds me of a bluebird wander lodge I looked at. Everything stacked up to "here's $300, and I'm still being ripped off"

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen worse brought back to life. Hope you can get it reliable without finding much more than you already know. It's still cheaper than buying a new diesel!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My mother just found out the trade in on the two cars she has is higher than she thought. She may trade those in on something more her size as she really just wants a small four door SUV to haul grandkids and keep her above truck headlights at night. If that happens I will buy the truck from her and part it out. If the motor checks out I will put it and the transmission, possibly even the rear axle in my 93. We will have to see what happens in the next week or two.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parting out aint a bad idea either. Although nothing there can't be fixed. From the pictures the radiator support repair looks pretty good to me.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Not sure when the last time I saw a driveshaft like that was.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
It appears the IDI gods had plans for this truck. My sister called me this morning because her 91 F-250 IDI wouldn't start. She took it in to get the tires rotated and said it smoked real bad the whole way there and when they were done it wouldn't start. I am almost positive the motor is hydrolocked. There is very little coolant in the system, oil is clean but she said it wasn't overheating, so I'm not sure if it's cavitation or a head gasket. My brother in law will tear into it when he returns from TDY in Guam. We went and found my mother a nice 1998 Dodge durango to drive instead of the new 1991 F-250 which I will start parting out and save the motor for my sister if they need it and if not, I will use it. At least I can use the transmission for now.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you need another SC truck, I'd be sourcing out a reg cab truck to be a parts mule for that one. in my sick and twisted world down here, a manual trans SC 4x4 would get a nod for rebuilding as long as the frame is in good shape and it wasn't burnt to the ground.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
if you need another SC truck, I'd be sourcing out a reg cab truck to be a parts mule for that one. in my sick and twisted world down here, a manual trans SC 4x4 would get a nod for rebuilding as long as the frame is in good shape and it wasn't burnt to the ground.

X2, unless there's some rot or damage not seen in those pictures that truck is too nice to part out.