Got a rebuilt stanadyne pump at picky today

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was checking pick a part's website and I happened to find a 1 ton with a 7.3 listed. So I went on down there to take a look. Spare parts are always nice after all.

Turns out it was an old U Haul truck and the top of the engine was gone except the driver side head. "Crap" I figured, it had some kinda turbo on it and someone ripped the works off before I could get to it.

Well I looked around the truck anyhow, looking for anything interesting. I found the missing head in the cab, so I figured I'd check the back of the truck.

In the back was the rest of the motor. Bolts were all in coffee cans as were the injectors and glow plugs, but no turbo so it was just a N/A beast. The IP was also there and it was a stanadyne pump with the paint marks of a rebuild. It didn't look like it had been leaking at anything other than where the injector lines where at, otherwise it looked pretty clean.

The fuel coming out was clean and the pump turned nice and easy.

So I popped the top off to check for debris, it looked brand new.

I had a gift certificate from a dead motor I returned so I figured meh why not?

So I pull the lines off cause they were bent by whoever removed the pump and they like to charge for extras like that.

I carried the pump over to the desk and set it down.

"Whats that? A power steering pump?" the guy asked... I've been there far too many times so I played along..
"Well it is a pump, I'll give you three guesses"
After a few seconds of blank looks I added in ..
"Its a pump, its not a power steering pump and its from a ford. "
Still more blank looks.
"Ok, if a power steering pump is cheaper than an injector pump lets call it a power steering pump"
While the injector pump is listed on the board for about $70, they couldn't find it off the bat so they figured they'd just give it to me for the power steering pump price.

As a result I walked away with this pump for $25 which came off my gift certificate anyhow.

The truck had about 327,000K on it so its pretty close to about old enough to have seen at least a rebuild with a few thousand K on it, then what probably happened was they blew a head gasket, then decided to junk the truck.

That and the rebuilt front drive shaft I picked up out of the box of another truck over there are two of my nice little surprises from there recently!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its the cheapest one so far! I have a $100 "good runner" in there now and its been just fine. About as lively as I have had so far.

I think I am gonna take this one in to get tested, unless I keep it as a pump to send to Mel for moosifying. Either way a spare is nice!

Eventually I plan on rebuilding this 6.9 into something better than it is now. But thats a while away.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel may chime in but I think a core is 100 clams .

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if I get my way this engine will one day see a typ4 cam and some moose injection and a turbo. I rescued this engine from scrap 4 years ago, its taken everything I have thrown at it and kept on going, so I'd love to see it really get revived one day.

This is getting a little off the original topic but oh well, its my thread! LOL

Once I get the wheels in motion to rebuilding this engine, I'll get that thread going. :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do charge $200 for a core, but that's because we need them, and would rather have our customers than the ones from industry suppliers that charge a good bit less.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not a bad day at the wrecker. So they decided what pump you had and its not you trying to get something for nothing. I'm fine with that. Been in your boosts too. I had just found a gear vendors with the C6 adapter on it and was in line to pay for it when some asshatt started talking about what I had in my bucket o parts to buy. I was at the cashier trying to lift it up so the old guy could see what I had and this fool behind me kept saying how expensive they were. I told him to shut the "F" up. He would not. The old guy behind the cash window couldn't find the gv on his computer screen even with another guys help. I finally told the other guy in line behind me to get the "F" away fromme. I finished my transaction and went looking for the ****** but couldn't find him in the parking lot.. Might have been a good thing too.. Who knows how hurt he may have gotten on me.. I was that angry and that really doesn't happen too often.. If asked I will offer help but to screw with someone in line anywhere is asking for trouble.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've run into people like that before. What those people don't understand is that the part isn't brand new, its used and for all we know it could be blown or near it anyhow. So they don't have the value that people like that guy have in mind.

There are some special people in this world.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's when you start saying "Well that's a Magnunson power steering pump you got there! Those things are hugely expensive!" and then you start making it a joke to make it sound like you know him really well, and your just messing around with each other. It's the only tactic I can see that would work. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online