Going to look at a turbo

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well I gotta say rebuilding it was not as hard as one would think! Pretty simple internals. If anyone needs a t3 or t4 rebuild kit I have someone I can recommend. Although if you dont feel your up to it Typ4 will be your best bet on a quality rebuild.

I have it all back together, ill get some photos later. I did notice the bearings were ate up a little with scratches and there was a lot of rust built up on the hot side and under the heat shield..

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well I gotta say rebuilding it was not as hard as one would think! Pretty simple internals. If anyone needs a t3 or t4 rebuild kit I have someone I can recommend. Although if you dont feel your up to it Typ4 will be your best bet on a quality rebuild.

I have it all back together, ill get some photos later. I did notice the bearings were ate up a little with scratches and there was a lot of rust built up on the hot side and under the heat shield..

Cool! good luck with the install and the first start up. i know it is getting redundant now but don't forget the pre-oil.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
You got that right, along the way on rebuilding I had my oil can out.

So before I hook up the oil line to the turbo just dump a bunch of oil down into the turbo?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I quote from the May 2011 issue of Diesel World Magazine.

"Special care is needed to preserve the turbo on that first startup. The little bit of oil you applied on assembly isn't enough for operation, even for a short time at idle. The best procedure is to leave the oil line off to prevent the engine from starting, but crank it over until you get oil from the line. Then, hook up the oil line and crank the engine in 15-second increments three times giving the starter time to cool down in between. That ensures that the unit has received a good amount of oil. At the least, use an oil gun to pump a good amount of motor oil in through the oil inlet before you start."

Here ya go. read ^^^

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Im going to be reinstalling my newly rebuilt turbo today. I was wondering if its necessary to punch some holes for the oil drain? I know I had to on my 92 because it would get all backed up. My truck is a 94 so does it already have the updated version for a higher volume of oil drain?

Also I re routed all the wiring that runs behind the intake to the front of the intake so I dont have nay chances for the turbo for melting my wiring.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well a turbo rebuild it what she needed! Now its time for a muffler delete!

I do gotta say it did go together a lot easier the 2nd time around..haha, Instead of putting it in as a whole unit turbo and drain pedestal together. I installed the pedestal first then the turbo. The up pipe and turbo bolts are still a pita!

You think after driving it a bit I should go over all the bolts and re snug them a little tighter? Im getting a slight oil leak on the turbo to drain pedestal part I think Ill tighten it a bit.

I have noticed on the little trip around the block the motor seems to get a bit toasty, unlike it was pre turbo.

I still need to turn the pump up one flat because I had it idling then hit it hard and killed the motor. Sounds like fuel starvation? It did start right back up.

I'm just glad no more squealing noise!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well a turbo rebuild it what she needed! Now its time for a muffler delete!

I do gotta say it did go together a lot easier the 2nd time around..haha, Instead of putting it in as a whole unit turbo and drain pedestal together. I installed the pedestal first then the turbo. The up pipe and turbo bolts are still a pita!

You think after driving it a bit I should go over all the bolts and re snug them a little tighter? Im getting a slight oil leak on the turbo to drain pedestal part I think Ill tighten it a bit.

I have noticed on the little trip around the block the motor seems to get a bit toasty, unlike it was pre turbo.

I still need to turn the pump up one flat because I had it idling then hit it hard and killed the motor. Sounds like fuel starvation? It did start right back up.

I'm just glad no more squealing noise!

Glad to here man.;Sweet
Whewh.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Just a little update...

Been driving the hell out of it the past few days, just to see what its got, and its got it! Really has great power now! Time to inter-cool this thing, anyone have tips and what I should be looking at for an inter-cooler setup?

I do remember on my dually which had a banks sidewinder, it seems like it had more of a turbo whistle to it than what I do with the factory turbo, can anyone tell me why?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Just a little update...

Been driving the hell out of it the past few days, just to see what its got, and its got it! Really has great power now! Time to inter-cool this thing, anyone have tips and what I should be looking at for an inter-cooler setup?

I do remember on my dually which had a banks sidewinder, it seems like it had more of a turbo whistle to it than what I do with the factory turbo, can anyone tell me why?

Does this one have the crush pipe down pipe? My 93 has the upgraded down pipe and my 94 has the pos crush pipe. Oh nelly does the 93 sound good. The 94 has a very very vque turbo whine. It also carries 1-3 lbs of boost more (some of that increase could be transmission differences).

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Does this one have the crush pipe down pipe? My 93 has the upgraded down pipe and my 94 has the pos crush pipe. Oh nelly does the 93 sound good. The 94 has a very very vque turbo whine. It also carries 1-3 lbs of boost more (some of that increase could be transmission differences).

Does your '93 have the upgraded exhaust housing or just the upgraded DP?

What does vque mean?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Mine has the crushed down pipe. How much is the upgraded one?

Also I was wondering once a turbo is installed does it affect timing any?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Mine has the crushed down pipe. How much is the upgraded one?

Also I was wondering once a turbo is installed does it affect timing any?

Last i heard Banks still has a couple upgraded dp that are just plug and play. i think they are ~$125. You have to call them though. they don't list them on the web site. You could allways modify a '94-'97 PSD dp. there is a tech article on here for that. do you have the stock exhaust still on the rest of the truck?

I don't see why the turbo would effect the timing.:dunno