Glowshift Gauge Install: Boost, Pyro, & Tranny

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
this past christmas i got three gauges. i was going to wait until it got warmer out. i was also going to wait until i decided if i was going to sell my truck or not. well i decided to keep my truck and tough out the cold and install some gauges.:D

since i actually have two days off from work this week, tomorrow and Thursday, i will be starting the install.

tomorrow i want to get all the soldering of the wires done. that should be quite easy since i got the three gauge wire harness from glowshift. well worth the $6 or $7 spent. depending on how that goes i will decide if i want to drill my manifold for the pyro tomorrow or wait until thursday. the "hardest" part is going to be the pyro probe just b/c if i screw up i am in HUGE trouble.

if anybody would like any specific pictures of anything let me know and i will do my best to get them.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck on the install.
It's a pretty easy install.
As far as soldering the wires. I just used connectors so it'll be easy to pull everything out if I ever change gauges or get a new truck.
Another thing is a ice chest right by the door were yull be laying for parts of the I stall.
Makes it sooo much easier on your back and much more comftorbale.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i was debating if i wanted to solder or crimp connect the wires. i was leaning towards solder just for the nice clean look, but the crimps would be WAY faster and easier.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dOnt see the wires unless you have that side panel or the apillar off anyways.
Just make sure you have a good ground. Both for the gauge and the sensors.
Learned that one that hard way LOL.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the only ground that i will have for a sender will be for the tranny temp sender. i plan on just grounding that to the frame. i will ground the gauges to the frame or the battery.

crimp connectors it is.LOL

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
dont sweat doing the pyro probe, just take your time with it and have the right drill bit and tap.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it dousent hurt to start small, its easier to keep in place then, the cast iron is easy to drill really. i would let it idle while drilling and tapping to blow the chips out. you can also coat the drill and tap with grease to and go a little at a time. the chips should stick to the grease and not fall in. i did this to get a broken off plug out of my bike i didnt want to pull the head on.

that should small for the tap, i used a 7/16 drill bit on mine and a 1/4 inch tap. must be a smaller probe.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just did the exact same gauge set that you are useing excpr for the trans i used fuel pressure and the drill bit you need for a 1/8 npt tap is 11/32 an the probe went in great as you know if you use to small a bit you can brake the tap if you do that then you are really screwed p.s. you will love the look and quality of the gauges

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i just did the exact same gauge set that you are useing excpr for the trans i used fuel pressure and the drill bit you need for a 1/8 npt tap is 11/32 an the probe went in great as you know if you use to small a bit you can brake the tap if you do that then you are really screwed p.s. you will love the look and quality of the gauges

i got the 5/16 from this article....http://www.autometer.com/techinfo_newsarticle.aspx?pg=1&aid=6

i am REALLY looking foward to seeing these gauges lit up.:sly:D

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Attached are some notes I compiled earlier this year from various posts here on Oilburners, along with some follow-up notations after my recent pyrometer install.

Attachments

• Pyrometer installation.pdf
    202.1 KB · Views: 75

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o no doubt they look great i got my drill bit size out of a machinist book but also sears sells the tap with the necessary drill bit id hate to see you snap a tap off in the mannie but good luck on your install

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
o no doubt they look great i got my drill bit size out of a machinist book but also sears sells the tap with the necessary drill bit id hate to see you snap a tap off in the mannie but good luck on your install

ya i defiantly don't need to snap the tap or anything in the manni. i have a machinist drill chart. i will check that out.

didn't get anything done today. depending on how much time i have before work tomorrow i will hook up the wire harness to the gauges. that should take a whopping 10 minutes max. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger