Glow plug woes

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
I was in the process of removing the bad plugs , when a AC delco tip broke off in the head. I spun the motor (ip off) and it blew compression out. I didn't hear anything bounce off the hood. I'm little rusty about how go about it. Help!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thankfully my dad is the only one in my family to have the pleasure of dealing with this. He pulled the head. But I know there are other options. Mel knows it by heart. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Well, I ve got 3 of the easy to get to. 1 came out intact and the other 2 broke. 1 was fresh break and other was old break. The truck was very hard starter, lots of white smoke and not to menoint starter fuild (lovey,eh?). Useing the jumper cable method to see if they were duds, they all were. I even installed an 1985 year model plug and it got hot. The new ones are Beru, the duds were AC Delco, so those get an X in my book

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea only ones we use are Beru's. They will last forever if you have a healthy glow plug system.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Honestly...I would pull the head. If you tried to shoot it out with compression and it didnt do anything, I would stop right there. Worst thing that can happen next time is the tip falls into the combustion chamber and fubars the piston, head, or valve.

I broke a glow plug off in my dads 95 powerstroke. We pulled the motor.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well im going to put some expierence in on this, well i changed the glow plugs on my truck, when i pulled number 7 out it was just half of a glow plug:eek: i thought o **** i just broke one, but it didnt really have any resistance when i pulled so i didnt know for sure, so i pulled the injector and stuck the high suction tip on the shop vac and went to town well then with the glow plug and injector out i cranked the motor over figured hell if it mess it up i aint lost nothing, well no funny noises so i stuck injector back in and new glow plug went in fine, fired it up no problems no weird sound and been driving it so maybe it was just burned in half:dunno

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
It's possible for the tip of a broken plug to get lunched by one of these engines. A friend of mine did 3. His motor sounded like pure crap with those tips beating around in there but they all eventually went out the exhaust valves and the engine still runs okay. I wouldn't suggest being stubborn like him though. I told him several times to quit running the truck and he kept on doing it anyway.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I know of a a VERY respected 5.9 guy that uses that "itll pass" methodLOL

I would do my best with the vac and then move onto the fire it up method.
If running a turbo be sure to drop the cross over pipe.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Well, during the event I decide to run with it, Can I put back in a good plug? Also, If I remove the heads, what gaskets need to be replaced? I aint rebuilding this thing.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
What size open end wrench does it take to remove the injector, so I don't run around allnite looking for the right one, both in SAE and metric if possible