Glow plug problems

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
My 87 is having glow plug issues. There is power to the controller through 2 heavy yellow wires but no power to the plugs themselves. The plugs all check good. I think my next move is to replace the relay looking thing on the top of the controller. Is this correct?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I recommend checking the wires from controller==>gps for continuity/ resistance. I was going to just replace my controller, too, but on a whim I checked the wires and, lo and behold, 5 of 8 burned out and very high resistance on the other three. Now I'm building a new harness and switching over to manual, so I don't have to do this ever again! (I hope) My dual-coil gps will be in Thursday, and then, for the first time EVER, I should have working gps on a truck I own!

Somewhere in the tech articles is a write-up on the controller I think. You do have bullet-type gps (I think some '87s had bullet, some blade), right? You can replace just the relay part but you will want to make sure the other bits are OK, too. Or: replace controller as a unit, or convert to manual like me, especially if you have the blade-type (which are 6V; you would have to change out with bullet-types [12V]).

Last edited:

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Electrical is certainly not my strong suit. How do I test the resistance on the gp wires? I figure put my leads on opposite ends, but what do I set the multimeter to?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Electrical is certainly not my strong suit. How do I test the resistance on the gp wires? I figure put my leads on opposite ends, but what do I set the multimeter to?

If your meter has a continuity/ diode test mode, (looks like " -->[ ") use that, or test for resistance; it should be very low. First, unplug all gps and then take the 2 wires for the gp banks off the relay and test. I think the bullet connectors are the weak point, and vibration-caused fatigue and corrosion gradually create higher resistance, and finally something burns up. You can just replace the connectors but I opted to do the whole harness and get rid of the 23 yr old mess.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
So far 2 gp wires test good before my battery died. Should I have power to the other large lug on the relay that the z strip attatches to when the key is on?

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So far 2 gp wires test good before my battery died. Should I have power to the other large lug on the relay that the z strip attatches to when the key is on?

You don't need battery voltage to check the wires. Check for Ohm resistance. I don't know what the resistance values should be for that gauge wire. But if the meter goes --- , that's infinite Ohms...meaning no voltage will travel through the wire.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know this if off topic, sort of but it still kind of works...

Does anyone out there know what part # for the connectors for the glow plugs. a while back i made a new harness but my connectors were bad, i have been meaning to ask if anyone had a name or part # for them. Going to be tearing into my IP friday/saturday and while im under the hood i figured i may as well replace my GP harness with my new one. Thanks! and sorry for the hijack, didnt want to fire up a thread about GPs with one active already

(this thread reminded me i still needed to find the info on the round connector things)

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
i know this if off topic, sort of but it still kind of works...

Does anyone out there know what part # for the connectors for the glow plugs. a while back i made a new harness but my connectors were bad, i have been meaning to ask if anyone had a name or part # for them. Going to be tearing into my IP friday/saturday and while im under the hood i figured i may as well replace my GP harness with my new one. Thanks! and sorry for the hijack, didnt want to fire up a thread about GPs with one active already

(this thread reminded me i still needed to find the info on the round connector things)

The gp connectors are standard .157" bullet connectors. You should be able to find them at auto parts stores, Home Depot, maybe Walmart. To be sure do like I did: go to Autozone, ask them to pull a bullet-type gp from the shelf, then go to the electrical section and find the right size. Then, give the gp back to the dumbfounded cashier and get a refund.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
You don't need battery voltage to check the wires. Check for Ohm resistance. I don't know what the resistance values should be for that gauge wire. But if the meter goes --- , that's infinite Ohms...meaning no voltage will travel through the wire.

Actually it was the 9v battery in my multimeter that died. Pretty rediculous. I will check all my other gp wires, but I don't think that is the problem. Pretty sure at this point I will be needing a new gp relay.

Is the large terminal on the relay that is attatched to the z strip only hot when the gps are on, or hot all the time the key is on? If I had bad wiring to specific glow plugs, wouldn't that cause the WTS light to only stay lit for a few seconds, same a burnt out gp's?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Is the large terminal on the relay that is attatched to the z strip only hot when the gps are on, or hot all the time the key is on? If I had bad wiring to specific glow plugs, wouldn't that cause the WTS light to only stay lit for a few seconds, same a burnt out gp's?

large terminal that z-bar is connected to should ONLY be on when KEY IS ON. i am not sure about bad wiring to plugs causing WTS light to go out faster.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like you have more going on than just bad wiring. Here is an article about bypassing the controller but it has a decent explanation of the system, if you haven't read it already.

Last edited:

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I am using the 7.3 system, as I think most 87's do. I am also pretty sure that it's not entirely fubared. I'm going to replace the relay and see where I am.

I have read that thread smolkin. I do get the click and cycling, at least it tries to.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Yesterday I replaced the relay on top of the controller. No change. :rotflmao I am never getting power to the z strip, even when the WTS light is lit. I am going to replace the main power wire (2 yellow ones) just to make sure a bad connection is not in there is cutting out when it tries to draw the real power. When the key is on, all other posts on the relay have power. I forgot how these relays actually work.

Last edited: