Glow plug broke. Need help.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me when first changing glow plugs a million years ago. Judging by the picture of the busted plug you pulled out that tip is long gone. Replace as stated with the Beru's and run and enjoy.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes do this.

I'll add; try getting a magnet grabber down through the injector hole. Get one with a small shaft that you can bend, fish it around trying to pick up small metal bits. Also, make a little custom nozzle for a shop vac out of some clear vinyl hose that you can get down inside the cylinder. You might try a mirror (didn't work for me) or an inspection camera http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html to get a look inside.

Glow plugs are made out of stainless steel, a magnet will not grab it.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had #1 broken on truck we have, broke on p.o. I drilled the center of it out for #8 screw and tapped it, then screwed bolt into it used a slide hammer to gently tap it out, it was broken flush to top of head so was easy to see and work on. Other 7 gp were autolite, not sure what broken one was,assume p.o. replaced all but the broke one we replaced with motorcraft.
rwk
You must be registered for see images attach

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs are made out of stainless steel, a magnet will not grab it.

Well, here's video of a tip being removed with a magnet, must be enough ferrous material in the winding to make it work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-MFgDQwZU A great watch even if you don't need it right now.

Re-examining the photo of the OP's glow plug, I'm tending to think the tip just burnt off from too much heat, maybe from to much advance or leaky injector?