Getting my spare pump rebuilt. Who to go with?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Generaly speaking Mel can't post what a pump will cost because he has not taken apart your particular pump. Like he stated here. Had it not been for other generous members the customer with the broken advance solenoid would have been charged an axtra $100.00 so.. Until Mel's builder has completely taken apart your pump he really has no idea what it needs. So in most cases each pump costs a differant amount. There is no blanket "one price fits all" here. I can tell you what you get in the Moose products is far more than you get anyplace else. And Mel is not making a living of these pumps like others that are selling them to make a living.

tximport

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. For some reason I was thinking he had been getting enough requests that he had bought a bunch and were selling them for a particular price with exchange.
Been long enough ago that i read something about this that I may be completely backwards.
Just saw today a new diesel shop opened up down the street so I may go by and talk with them to see what they are up to. Mostly I see strokers and cummers in there so they may not be familiar with a real diesel truck LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Mel in THIS POST
The range is from around $550 to $675 Typical for a Bably Moose or Moose Pump. The Super Moose, due to extreme machining operations is estimated to be $1600 to $2000. As always, PM me for specific details.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually due to the changes at my rebuilder, I've had to adopt an exchange only sales model. PM me for details.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked him about sleeving the advance bore, He said he would do it if I wanted but didn't think it was necessary. He said the pump was in pretty good shape. What's everyone's take on this?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if its worn at all it needs it, if not it will soon, like right after the warranty runs out. and they actually should be honing it for the next oversize, there is 4 iirc.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the email I received earlier.

"I just caught your note from the other night, and we can put a liner in the advance bore, but your pump is tore down now and the advance bore looks good
The advance piston shows some light wear but not bad enough to allow a sticking issue or a pressure loss issue.
I don't know what issues you were having but the pump looks good on the inside,
We will replace the plungers as they are also beginning to show some light wear, appears they have were rotated on the last Rebuild, which is not a good procedure to do
It doesn't appear to have many hours/miles since the last rebuild."