Gelled lines

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my fuel lines and filter gelled up and now my truck won't start. Dumped filter refilled with fresh fuel and it semi started and died right away.
No additives or winter fuel still got #2 Diesel in the tanks(I'm stupid I know) it's about 20*

Any ideas? lol

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a block heater? Throw a blanket over the hood with the block heater on and see if that will warm it up enough around the engine to run. Make sure to pour some treatment in the fuel tank also.

Or pull it into a garage.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He's still full of #2. It's possible.
Or could have a scary amount of water in the system. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20* should not gel.

It drops to single digits at night. By "now" I meant when I tried to start it lol
I'm having it towed to my bosses' heated shop in the morning and trying the 911 stuff. I've been fighting it all day accept defeat for today.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
It drops to single digits at night. By "now" I meant when I tried to start it lol
I'm having it towed to my bosses' heated shop in the morning and trying the 911 stuff. I've been fighting it all day accept defeat for today.

Just put the thing in the shop, let it get nice and warm all day to de-gel, dump some PS white or Howes in the tanks, and drive it (let it run a few minutes in the shop first to clear your lines), the return system will mix it in.
Change your fuel filter if there's a possibility it could have some water, wouldn't be a bad idea to change it anyway to remove the paraffins that are stuck in it.
I'd also top off with #1 just to be safe, but we *might* get a little colder than you up here. LOL
911 won't stop it from re-gelling.

Welcome to the fun of owning a diesel, betcha remember next year! LOL

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Where did you fill up? They should have been blending the diesel up here in the north by now

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rent an indirect fired diesel heater with a trunk and throw some heat at it

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen when I was traveling. Filled up in southern Illinois and all they had was B20 (20% bio). Got home (Northern Indiana) late and parked it. The next morning it was gelled.

Also had it happen because I didn't read the PS bottle. It was getting down to -20 to -30*f at night for a week......highs in the -10 to -15* range. PS bottle says to put a double dose in if temps are staying below O*. I didn't do it and had lines gel.....or it was bad fuel with water in it.

Thawed it out and it fired right up.

I would recommend replacing the fuel filter along with thawing it out.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheep plug in block heater, long extension into the house/garage/whatever?
Usta put a pan w/coals out of the stove, had a 3 ft handle, moved it around a lill, never took of the pan lid... ahhh the old daze in VT.