gear vendor, doug nash overdrive units.

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
How are these, and are they worth putting on. Also is anyone familiar with the wiring on them. I have a chance to get one, but doesn't have the wiring, but said wiring works similar to an electric window switch. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks, Steve

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gearvendor overdrive. It's pretty sweet; it's solenoid actuated, so all you need is a switch.
Internally, it's basically a planetary gear setup and conical clutch, kind of like an automatic transmission.

Going into overdrive is smooth, coming out of it... a bit clunky. With a manual transmission, you want the clutch disengaged when coming out of overdrive.

You also don't have overdrive in reverse. The brain box will prevent this, but if you manually rig it up, be aware. It'll just make bad noises and feel like the brakes are locked up.

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How tough are the gvs for towing? Considering a unit but tow often on steep mountain roads with heavy loads. Do they hold up?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Doug Nash that I have bewn running for almost 100k miles now. As far as drivability, I would say it was the best mod I have made. Wiring is extremely simple, so I wouldn't worry about not having a harness.

As far as towing with the Doug Nash, I believe it is rated for 35000 GCVW....so no issues there. Not sure about the Gear Vendor.

The Doug Nash is like a 2 speed manual gearbox. The Gear Vendor is like a mini 2 gead automatic.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How tough are the gvs for towing? Considering a unit but tow often on steep mountain roads with heavy loads. Do they hold up?
With a gearvendor in direct drive, there's no question - it's designed to hold up just fine.
In overdrive on the GV, you aren't supposed to have it in OD below about 25mph, so gear splitting 1st isn't recommended(note: The brainbox locks this out, manually it will do it).
IIRC, the gv is rated for 2k ft-Lbs of torque - that's after the transmissuon, though, so you could exceed that with a really low gear ratio like 1st.

On the high end, they don't recommend towing in double OD on the 5-speed manual, though towing in 4th over is fine. That being said, I've done it a ton, and had no problems. I think this limitation is more to protect the engine than anything -- with a NA idi, you aren't going to be doing it. With a turbo and 200+ RWHP, going 70+ mph... it's totally possible. Not below that speed though - revs are too low.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In overdrive on the GV, you aren't supposed to have it in OD below about 20mph, so gear splitting 1st isn't recommended(note: The brainbox locks this out, manually it will do it).

A little correction. Your not supposed to shift it below 25 MPH.

You can wire in the two contacts on the side of the GV, all they are is to light up an indicating light for U/O, they have nothing to do with shifting.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In overdrive on the GV, you aren't supposed to have it in OD below about 20mph, so gear splitting 1st isn't recommended(note: The brainbox locks this out, manually it will do it).

A little correction. Your not supposed to shift it below 25 MPH.
Corrected.

You can wire in the two contacts on the side of the GV, all they are is to light up an indicating light for U/O, they have nothing to do with shifting.
Uh...?
On my GV, all I know about is two spade terminals on the solenoid(1.2" round can piece). Give this solenoid 12V and it'll shift into OD as soon as the internal pressure reaches like 160? psi. So, from a stop, it'll do it sooner or later at a random time.
At 15-ish, it'll shift more or less instantly, at least on mine. Obviously, brainbox/safety notwithstanding.
Another interesting fact is that if you are in OD and come to a stop, it'll stay engaged(at least long enough for a stop light). The brainbox will disengage as soon as you drop below a certain speed, probably the 25MPH mentioned above?
(It's been at least 6 years since I deleted the brainbox, so remembering exactly how it works is hard at best)

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the OP talking about a Grear Vendor or Doug Nash? They are 2 different units that operate differently.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of fuel eco improvements do you guys see with your overdrives im curious?

I track all my mileage. I found that in perfect conditions my max mpg went up 2 to 2.5 mpg, but when i say "In perfect conditions" it mwans that thos is bot the norm. What I did find is that my average mpg went up 1 to 1.5 mpg. Wuth my setup prior to thw installation of my DNE2 it was not uncommon, if I wasn't careful with my driving behavior, to see tanks in the mid 13 mpg range. After the install i very rarely see anything below 15mpg. That is mixed driving and serting the cruise at 70 to 75 mph on the hwy.

A big thing for me was the driving experience. It greatly reduced cabin noise etc that made longer trips much more enjoyable.

With towing it also allows me to split gears. Being NA there are times when 3rd gear it too high going up a steep hill loaded, but 2nd is too low. 2nd over usually fits nicely.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GV and Doug Nash/US Gear are 2 very different units. GV is still in production, DNE2/USG isn't. Used units are roughly similar in price from what I've seen - $1k+/-

Very different design. GV is a hydraulically shifted planetary unit similar to an automatic trans in operation and design. It is overdrive & direct only and uses a cone clutch that is spring loaded to the direct drive position. For OD the unit uses hydraulic pressure from an output shaft driven pump to overpower spring pressure and hold the clutch in the OD position. There is also a one way sprag type clutch which prevents the input from rotating slower than the output in forward - this prevents slip while shifting under load and will take load if the clutch slips some under heavy load. Notably, this only happens in forward - in reverse or engine braking all torque is taken through the clutch.

The GV unit is essentially a Laycock overdrive box which goes back to 60's sports car. It is intended to provide a top end overdrive gear - high speed and light load. Yes, you can split shifts, and can tow with it, but the fundamental design isn't really meant for that. The minimum speed is because of the hydraulic pump being output driven - lower speed means lower volume and at some point loss of pressure which means more slippage.

GV is a good unit for it's designed use - high speed highway gears. Same idea as a selectable OD on a E4OD or similar - not really good to tow or run heavy.

USG/DNE2 is a 4 countershaft spur gear (helical) box with a positive mechanical shift system. It can be in either gear at any speed any load forward or reverse. Shifting is a bit harder, but IMHO it's a much stronger heavier duty box. Yes they are long out of production, but they're simple and easy to fix as long as the hard parts aren't trashed. Primary wear points seem to be the shift motor and bearings which are both easy and cheap. DNE2 designs use brass countershaft thrust washers that may be harder to get; USG designs use off the shelf needle bearings. I have also seen wear on the shift collar and fork; I strongly suspect this is an off the shelf GM transmission part but have not determined exactly what it's from yet. The big GV wear part in contrast is the cone clutch which I think costs several hundred dollars if you an even get one and is only available from GV.

Electronics and controls are easy for the DNE/USG. Not sure on the GV, I think you can just run a simple switch and wires as long as you make sure to manually downshift before slowing down too much.

To me the GV is an overpriced box that adds a pushbutton 5th gear and is marginally reliable. USG/DNE2 gives you a heavy duty fail safe splitter box that is much more useful for towing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online