Gathering up for the Rebuild - What Do I Need On Hand?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do I spy a mighty Klein screwdriver in there???

Ya mean that overgrown yellow and black thing that'll never fit any screw I'll use in my lifetime and is twice the size of anything else in there.

I don't know what it is, there are no markings on it at all even under the black plastic cover on the handle. It's a good tool though, I've been beating on it and prying stuff with it regularly for prolly over 20 years and it's never let me down, broke or bent, Very handy.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, I just sent you a PM. Don't shoot the messenger. :sorry:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
-cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss It figures. Sent you a PM back. Want to talk to Bean & see how much more he wants to turn the short block to a long block before I decide. Were the heads you spoke of new or reman?

If I change the front clip & re-badge the damn truck it will be an '07. :mad:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little footwork here. They are about $250 cheaper for each reman head at Navistar vs Ford

• Navistar Reman
  • Complete including valves
  • Part number 2501678C91 (for 10 bolt intake)
  • Price $358.26 each
  • Core charge $300 each
  • Available (Ship out of PA) Time 3 - 4 days to here, may be less to you up there.
Gathered this from Smith International in Fayetteville, NC

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Did a little footwork here. They are about $250 cheaper for each reman head at Navistar vs Ford

• Navistar Reman
  • Complete including valves
  • Part number 2501678C91 (for 10 bolt intake)
  • Price $358.26 each
  • Core charge $300 each
  • Available (Ship out of PA) Time 3 - 4 days to here, may be less to you up there.
Gathered this from Smith International in Fayetteville, NC

Are they identical to my ford heads. What do you mean by 10 bolt intake?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they identical to my ford heads. What do you mean by 10 bolt intake?

Same heads. Differences between the Ford Powerstroke and the T444E are the injectors, ECM, front cover, and prolly a few other small items. The block, heads and internals are all the same. Other difference is the extra $$$$$ you spend at Ford to buy the same exact part. When I replaced the front cover on mine I bought 99% of the parts I needed from International.

In 1995, with engine serial numbers 174666 and up, the heads were redesigned and the sheetmetal intake manifolds bolted to the heads were changed to having 10 bolts vs 8 bolts.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I sent all the torque wrenches to team Torque yesterday & they should be able to turn them around in 2-3 days. 6.0 Tranny cooler showed up yesterday. That's gonna be pretty cool if it drops the tranny temp significantly. Just waiting on heads & Block to get it going again!!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
whatcha doin with the old cooler.
I need one for the 95
Planned on getting rid of it through flea-bay. Nothing wrong with it at all, just read about this upgrade in DieselPower & with towing the camper figured I'd give it a shot. Make me an offer.