Gathering up for the Rebuild - What Do I Need On Hand?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
My dads been an OTR driver for 59 years(he's 77) and still doesn't have two nickles to rub together. Yes he still drives part time when the roads aren't covered in that white stuff. I commend all of the truck drivers, if it wasn't for you guys this country would come to a screaching hault.:cheers:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Watch what happens to us when they let the mexican trucks across.

Where's the best place to get Up-pipe doughnuts? Think I'm gonna replace them all to be safe.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gross or net? :dunno Figure 60 miles / hr; 2080 hrs/year @ 80% (Figure 20% of the time he is not racking up miles) that is only about 47k.:eek:

Then again...I worked from the campground on Saturday morning, had off Monday and have 25 hrs in already this week. Not to mention the truck is not a financially reasonable commuting vehicle ($70 a week in fuel) Per hour I think I could make more money asking "Ya want fries with that?"

If the driver is worth his salt he'll run a minimum 10k miles a month which is $56k gross

I averaged over 150,000 paid miles per year as an O/O

Hopefully the Pumpkin Head freight hauler is clearing 47 cents per mile per mile after ALL expenses because at $2.89 gallon average at 6mpg he's spending just over 48 cents a mile on fuel alone and going in the hole:eek:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch what happens to us when they let the mexican trucks across.

Where's the best place to get Up-pipe doughnuts? Think I'm gonna replace them all to be safe.

I've seen their rigs swapping trailers with them at the border, they run some junk, I never felt safe when they were eyeballing the chrome on my Pete.

Get the donuts any auto parts store, Navistar or Ford, just take the old ones and match them up if you're hunting around the box stores, muffler shops should have some too for a small block chebby.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
My point exactly. His situation is even worse though. He was driving what appeared to be an 03 or 04 Pete. The ACERT motor started in late 03. What this means is he's not getting anywhere near 6mpg. Even when I'm easy on the go pedal, I average 4.6 to 4.8. I know he had a CAT under the hood because the side of the saddle tanks had "CAT food" right under the tank cap. Even if he had a bridge motor, he's seeing no better than 5.5mpg if he behaves.

It costs me approx. $1.67/ mile to run the truck & I have an extremely low truck payment for an '05 model year (truck is an '04 but the trailer & rack are '05). My average miles per month are down a little since putting another truck on the road but I still do about 7000 miles/month. The other truck is doing over 11000-13000 miles/month but the payment is double what mine is so the per mile number is higher on the '07. I don't know how these guys can turn the key every morning. I know the big companies pay base plates & some other stuff (which I didn't even factor in to my numbers) but still. It's a losing battle.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I see company drivers in everyday, some making 32 cents per mile CDN for a US run....$20+ per hour, paid stop overs, paid unloading and such....Some of them do pretty good at it but they aren't home much. Then you have the locals hauling containers....They pretty much have to make $1000/day to stay afloat and make living. Sun up to sun down atleast 6 days a week for those boy's....And that's if they drive old rig's with no payments....I don't know how some of them pay the $2500/month payments and still manange to take home some dough to momma.....

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Just talked to Bean & I should have my block by the middle of next week.;Sweet Mel, any word on the heads today?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The new 07 engines are a joke....They do burn cleaner but they also get less MPG so were is the emission friendly part?? - burning the fuel more efficiently but using more of it!!!cookoo

Not to mention the cost to the dealers for all the 07 software and bluetooth gear to troubleshoot these things....And the engine wear due to EGR cooler failures putting coolant in the cylinders. Spent yesterday morning setting up 2 computers at work with the 07 engine software for Detroits and Mercedes....I've been buggin' my boss to send me on the Detroit 60 series rebuild course, he asks me why when the 60 series is toast in 2010....I figure once some O/O's get a few of these DPF engines and have trouble with them the old rig's with the Detroits will be rebuilt at a steady pace.;Sweet

The harder they try to reduce emssions the more costly it is for the trucker, both in fuel mileage and repair costs when the warranty is up....Having seen the new 07 Mercedes 900 with it's twin turbo setup it makes me wish I'd picked another trade to work in sometimes....:puke: :D

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Talked to Ryan today. He was going to pick up the completed short block this afternoon & put it on a pallet & ship it to me tomorrow. Should have it by friday. Also going to do the 1.0 exhaust housing & reg. return line to keep everthing as happy as I can. I'm done with power mods now. Just need a chip to make it idle right. I did get a new bumper 'cause the old one was dented pretty ******* the right side, some grill inserts, & I'm gonna have my push bar rhino lined for a few bucks to try to hide some of the dents the PO put in it for me. Only other upgrade is the 6.0 tranny cooler.

I have come across some other things while cleaning up parts which could have been effecting my boost psi. The factory intake pipe that runs from the tymar to the turbo is cracked (huge) & as I mentioned before one of the uppipes from the exhaust manifold must have been leaking.

Getting close........

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to Ryan today. He was going to pick up the completed short block this afternoon & put it on a pallet & ship it to me tomorrow. Should have it by friday.

Getting close........

-Drool -Drool -Drool Can ya taste it yet.:love:

I'll give you a call in a couple days when I get my schedule figured out. Late Saturday night leaving on Sunday night is no problem. Ready for a 24 hr thrashLOL

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I'm getting antsy (sp?). You talkin about driving up here late sat. & rolling out late sunday?

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Hay scott I should be available to help if you need it, or I can stand there and hold down the driveway whatever works best.