Gathering up for the Rebuild - What Do I Need On Hand?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
We use Lubriplate 105 for a bearing lube on rebuilds or bearing roll in's. I wouldn't get overly concerned about your pushrods and rockers not going back in the same hole - we don't worry about that at my shop too much unless there is a valve bridge.

Here's some tips I've learned from seasoned engine builders that I work with:

Don't use scotchbrite pads on the block - use fine emery cloth and sprayed varsol to thoroughy clean it after your done. Tap and clean all the bolt holes that are threaded and clean and blow them out. Thorougly clean the cylinders - honing can leave a lot of grit in there.

Don't use your finger to spread the bearing lube on the bearing shell - run a liberal bead of lube in the middle and let the "crush" of installing the bearing spread it for you...Less chance for contamination from your hands.

Roll the engine 1 full revolution after each rod/piston install to verify all is well.

Pay close attention to ALL your bearings - check the back to make sure they are the right size - under/over or stock.

Use a paint pen or white out to mark any fastener that you have torqued...Peace of mind and easily visuable.

Me, I like to use plastigage a lot in a rebuild, other guys not so much. When I built my 351W I checked every rod-main clearance and I also checked my cam and crank end-play. Everything was bang on too....Take these tips for what they are worth, hope they help.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I especially like the paint pen on torqued bolts trick.

That's a must do, I use either silver or black sharpies myself.

Learned that lesson the hard way about 20 years ago. Nothing like having a customer come over to pick their car up and have it start knocking and then chuck a rod right in front of them because you missed final torque on one rod cap :***::puke: :idiot: :cry: Good thing he was a good friend of mine.

Now everything gets a / for the final torque and an X when I double check it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a must do, I use either silver or black sharpies myself. Now everything gets a / for the final torque and an X when I double check it.

Hey that is a great idea...I'll be using that from now on. I do plastigauge every main and rod when I rebuild a motor just for absolute certainty on clearances. I do not have the need for expensive inside and outside mics of different sizes as I do not do enough rebuilds to warrant the investment at this time.

Perhaps in the future, I'll be blessed with a wonderful full set of inner and outer mics;Sweet

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Hey that is a great idea...I'll be using that from now on. I do plastigauge every main and rod when I rebuild a motor just for absolute certainty on clearances. I do not have the need for expensive inside and outside mics of different sizes as I do not do enough rebuilds to warrant the investment at this time.

Perhaps in the future, I'll be blessed with a wonderful full set of inner and outer mics;Sweet

I have those expensive mics. I still use plastiguage.:D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
At work we don't even check them....But most of the time the crank has never been out of the engine from the factory...LOL....1,000,000 miles before we rebuild it and slap a new set of bearings on the ol' crank....Good as new.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this talk sounds like Scott is not getting a completed short block? :dunno

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Supposed to be front cover to rear cover & oil pan installed too. I think the talk is just a spin off. I should be able to drop my heads on & go from there. No internal work should need to be done.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Oh, come on Scott open her up. Ceramic coated pistons, polished crank, modified oil passages... Hell we could almost spend your money faster than you!:rotflmao

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, come on Scott open her up. Ceramic coated pistons, polished crank, modified oil passages... Hell we could almost spend your money faster than you!:rotflmao

That's gonna leave a markLOL ........I seriously doubt he needs help spending money right now.

Prolly has enough help already with the wife, his hired driver, his Peterbilt dealer and his CAT dealer standing there with their hands out.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
That's gonna leave a markLOL ........I seriously doubt he needs help spending money right now.

Prolly has enough help already with the wife, his hired driver, his Peterbilt dealer and his CAT dealer standing there with their hands out.

You forgot Home Depot, Loew's & Comdata.:confused: :dunno

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ewwwww...... Fergot about the Com Check charges & fuel cards, theres a chunk of change.....Guess I've been off the road too long.

You can add.....and workmans comp ins, fuel taxes, med ins, comp, collision & bobtail ins, cargo ins, HUT, DOT fines, quarterly fed & state taxes, high speed driving awards, accountant, OOIDA dues, truck payments........etc.......

Don't know how you guys make it these days

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
It gets harder by the day. My "employee" is set up as an independent contractor so I don't incure the normal employee related expenses such as workers comp, med insurance, & payroll & unemployment taxes. He gets a 1099 at the end of the year & it's his baby. Hopefully the ******* is setting money aside for Uncle Sam come tax time.

I was doing ok 'til all this crap happened. Now I don't know how long it will take to unbunch the "company *******" after this past month or so. I can't say I haven't been looking at alternate career paths recently. I have. Just haven't found anything that will pay what I'm making with the car haulers. $ per hour, my job sucks but overall it's good money. If I could make the same money in say a 40-60hr week, I think I'd jump at it. I love the road & driving trucks but it's getting out of hand with all the expenses. I heard an O/O pulling for Schneider on the CB last night saying he makes $.47/mile & was happy about it. I am clueless as to how those guys can continue to operate in todays market.

Maybe I could open a PSD shop in MDLOL

pafixitman

Reaction score
I heard an O/O pulling for Schneider on the CB last night saying he makes $.47/mile & was happy about it. I am clueless as to how those guys can continue to operate in todays market.

Maybe I could open a PSD shop in MDLOL

Gross or net? :dunno Figure 60 miles / hr; 2080 hrs/year @ 80% (Figure 20% of the time he is not racking up miles) that is only about 47k.:eek:

Then again...I worked from the campground on Saturday morning, had off Monday and have 25 hrs in already this week. Not to mention the truck is not a financially reasonable commuting vehicle ($70 a week in fuel) Per hour I think I could make more money asking "Ya want fries with that?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.