Gathering up for the Rebuild - What Do I Need On Hand?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
when doin injectors, I always pull a rail plug or the icp and fill the rails with oil, then fill the resevoir.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Mel is waiting on valve springs from me & then the heads may be done middle of next week. Bean said the block is still at the machine shop.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When refering to the oil presure gauge, are you talking stock, or aftermarket? I'm not used to the idea of stock gauges actually registering something while cranking. :rolleyes:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When refering to the oil presure gauge, are you talking stock, or aftermarket? I'm not used to the idea of stock gauges actually registering something while cranking. :rolleyes:

I am reffering to the stock gauge which is just a glorified idiot light. The reason for this is that the sender is located in the HPOP resevoir. Now if you have a mechanical gauge plugged in the too it's fine.

What it is telling you if the gauge comes up is that the Lube oil pump on the crank has gotten its prime and is filling the HPOP resevoir so that the HPOP can build pressure in the injector oil rails in order for the engine to run. The injectors need, IIRC, 400 PSI minimum of high pressure oil for the computer to even fire them.

If the lube oil pump on the crank doesn't get a prime within a few seconds the HPOP WILL suck the resevoir dry and the engine will not start or if it was running it will stall.

Once the engine is up and operating correctly again and all the air is finally bled out of the HP oil system the lube oil pump will build pressure within a couple seconds of the engine starting.

I received a pretty good education on the oil systems of these engines when I first bought this truck and it didn't help that I had both a worn timing cover at the LPOP and 4 bad injectors.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score

Mel...I forgot you are new here LOL ;p
Guess you haven't seen this pic.....:D
mechanical Auto Meter Phantom oil press gauge fed by a #4 stainless steel braid NOS rated line from the oil filter head ;Sweet

Attachments

• snow%20gauges.JPG
    snow%20gauges.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explaination. On the IDI's, there isn't usually enough juice to run gauges or the radio while cranking, hence my confusion.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explaination. On the IDI's, there isn't usually enough juice to run gauges or the radio while cranking, hence my confusion.

The stock gauges will come up on the superduty while cranking. The tach will come up pretty much right away and the oil pressure will come up if it cranks long enough without starting and you have a good lube pump.

Fire away Mel.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott,

Here are a couple PDF documents I forgot I had to aid you in the rebuild. One is specs on the '99 - '03 PSD and the other is an engine assembly guide step by step, prolly the best and easiest assembly guide to understand I have ever come across.

Both pdf documents are in the zip file.

You must be registered for see images attach

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Printed them both out for later use. Interested in a 400 mile road trip for reassembly? I can put you up in the guest houseLOL .

Attachments

• kids on camper web.jpg
    kids on camper web.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 7

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Printed them both out for later use. Interested in a 400 mile road trip for reassembly? I can put you up in the guest houseLOL .

Tempted for sure. That guest house is purty nice too. I've been wondering if Mel was thinking about helping out and diving headfirst into a PSD.

Last edited: