Fueling issues?

Weldingman

Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems filling their tanks with diesel? My truck has dual tanks and they take forever to fill. If I try and go too fast the diesel just comes splashing back out at me. Any common mods to fix the issue?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My RV's front tank has problems because of the very long distance from the filter neck to the tank if the nose is facing downhill due to the long horizontal pipe, which can happen sometimes if a station wasn't built very level. I never have rear tank problems, but the tank is very close to the filler neck so no long pipe like on the front.

Are you filling in truck lanes with big nozzles or in auto lanes with small ones? That can make a difference. Some stations are worse than others too, even with the smaller nozzle.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:sorry:
Never heard of that issue;Pissedford had a better idea then fell asleap...

google harpooning the tank
tank vent mod

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It seems like most gas stations (around here anyway) have concrete that slopes next to the pumps. I try to park with the driver's side higher than the passenger's side. You can park your driver's side rear wheel/s on a 4X4 block. Those are the simple, free things that I do. Other than that, go with harpooning the tank like Clb suggested. I eventually plan to do that with all of my fuel tanks.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filled mine for the 1st time recently. (truck is new to me)
1st place I went the nozzles on the pumps were too big for my filler necks. Only for "big rigs", I guess.
Next place was a normal station. Front filled fine at wide open (trigger locked). When filling the back one I kinda freaked out because there looked to be smoke coming out of the filler neck.
I have no idea what that's about. If it was actual smoke then I'm very glad that diesel isn't very combustible.

Weldingman

Reaction score
My RV's front tank has problems because of the very long distance from the filter neck to the tank if the nose is facing downhill due to the long horizontal pipe, which can happen sometimes if a station wasn't built very level. I never have rear tank problems, but the tank is very close to the filler neck so no long pipe like on the front.

Are you filling in truck lanes with big nozzles or in auto lanes with small ones? That can make a difference. Some stations are worse than others too, even with the smaller nozzle.
There the small passenger fueling nozzles

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some pumps create foam\mist due to pressure and design.
You could be seeing the vent circulating the mist out the top...

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some pumps create foam\mist due to pressure and design.
You could be seeing the vent circulating the mist out the top...
Thanks. I sure hope that's what it was. ;)
But it looked more like smoke than mist to me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's probably all it was. There's nothing that should be causing smoke for any reason when you fuel up.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I filled mine for the 1st time recently. (truck is new to me)
1st place I went the nozzles on the pumps were too big for my filler necks. Only for "big rigs", I guess.
Next place was a normal station. Front filled fine at wide open (trigger locked). When filling the back one I kinda freaked out because there looked to be smoke coming out of the filler neck.
I have no idea what that's about. If it was actual smoke then I'm very glad that diesel isn't very combustible

My RV has bigger necks but I have to baby it when filling up with a big nozzle, especially the front ank. I had to use them on my F250 a time or two with the truck's restricted size neck and that was a bit messy and slow. The foam is so annoying at random stations.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Vent modification to my 86. Fills right up w/o spitting fuel at you or burping. here is one link I found.

Goat.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I did the Vent modification to my 86. Fills right up w/o spitting fuel at you or burping. here is one link I found.

Goat.

The article says in part of the "results":

Anyway, I went to the ‘Big Truck’ pump to fill up and was totally NOT impressed. It actually seemed like it took longer to fill up as the nozzle kept clicking off. However, I still have to use the ‘Little Truck’ pump for the real test since the fuel coming out of the ‘Big Truck’ pump just gushes out.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
It’s a Ford thing.

Suggestions -
1) I insert and hold the pump handle up as high as I can, that usually works. If not drop down a little.
2) Add you diesel additives last. I find putting in first causes some foaming and the causes the pump handle to keep clicking off.
3) I also find there is a sweet spot, where the pump seems to be centered down into the center of the filler neck. Wiggle the pump in a circle and you will get what I am saying.

Sometimes the pump handle just won’t play ball.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It’s a Ford thing.

Suggestions -
1) I insert and hold the pump handle up as high as I can, that usually works. If not drop down a little.
2) Add you diesel additives last. I find putting in first causes some foaming and the causes the pump handle to keep clicking off.
3) I also find there is a sweet spot, where the pump seems to be centered down into the center of the filler neck. Wiggle the pump in a circle and you will get what I am saying.

Sometimes the pump handle just won’t play ball.

Nah the old Dodge van I had was similar. In Oregon, they just let me pump my own gas because i explained that it would backup if you don't baby it.

I always put in additive first but foaming is random. Just depends on the station. I've been to a station recently (small nozzle) that pumped so slowly that I had it locked on max and it was still slow. Some have no foam issues, others constant. Just one of those things.