fuel tanks

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
so, I was off work today and tommorow, figure I'd pull the bed off the truck and fix the tank sending units.

figure I can only get 275miles out of both tanks (@15mpg) might as well fix it.

man taking a bed off by yourself..... I do not recommend that.
anyway, how do you get the sending units out? I mean the circular thing on top of the tank.

off and do you need to replace the lil ford u-clips that hold the fuel line on?

thanks
drew

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
hmmm, isn't there supposed to be a peice of plastic or something on the fuel pickups?

mine just end in a metal pipe.
reckon I'll just slap a lil extra fuel line on the end of them and be off.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep... yours are rotted off which means you are only able to use 3/4 of each tank more or less. You can get new sending units at Ford or at Fordparts.com, or you can make your own extension out of fuel house adn fishmouth it or whatever so it doesn't suck air by sticking to the bottom. be careful taht you don't make it too long or too short though. Too long and you won't be able to get the locking ring to seal, too short adn you really haven't helped yourself that much. As to teh fuel line clips, I'd just reuse them unless they won't seal, in which case just cut them off and use rubber fuel hose and hose clamps or zipties. BTW, I would suggest that you get a new o-ring for each fuel tank sending unit. Should be in stock at Ford adn maybe at your local auto parts joint if you get lucky. Good luck,
J.D.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I am assuming by clips you mean the little plastic locking devices that run across (perpendicular) the fuel lines where they attach to the sending unit. If that is the case, trash them. I always break them getting them out and keep a couple of packs on hand. Autozone and Advance both stock them here as well as most other parts stores, Napa, CarQuest etc. You can get a pack of like 8 (4 for 3/8 inch fuel feed and 4 for 5/16 inch fuel return) for like $3.00 around here.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
man taking a bed off by yourself..... I do not recommend that.
anyway, how do you get the sending units out? I mean the circular thing on top of the tank.
drew

I know what You meant on that.

To remove the sending unit lock You can use a flat screw driver and a small hammer little tip on eack sention of the lock until its loose.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
dieseljd, I'm not the type to buy the things from ford... I intended to make my own.

sle, gotcha on the fuel line clips, probably pick up a pack tommorow.

Ez, I really gotta go do some more work for my friend at the machinery rental place. I've already got from him this year a handful of kubota motors, a lawnmower, and (yesterday) a mac tools compression tester.... he's got an extra 3k lb cherry picker I've had my eye on.....

either way I'm excited... now my $50 fillups will cost $100!!!! woohooo.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit that locking ring with some PB Blaster, and then like EZ said, knock it around in a counter-clockwise direction. Keep moving around to different parts of the ring to hit it, and you'l see once it moves what you have to accomplish. Be carefull not to bend anything or ding it up to bad, as you will need to re-use it.