fuel return priming system...

Tacoma_IDI

Reaction score
I chased around a similar issue on my 1985 6.9 and my 1992 7.2 with the former being the more complex issue. You suspect air intrusion reaching the high-pressure side or the injectors which I think is a good assumption. There are three ways for this to happen that I know of: 1) Fuel leak in the return system (which you've already addressed). 2) Fuel leak in the low pressure side of the system 3) Blockage or lift pump failure in the low pressure side of the system.

A leak or failure in the high-pressure side is possible but unlikely and also the most difficult to troubleshoot so I'd start with what you know. I would NOT recommend fuel system modifications of any type until you're certain you found the cause of the problem. This is a mistake I made with my 6.9. At that point it just makes things more complicated.

Recommendation:
1. Identify fuel leaks of any kind. Check the valley pan very carefully especially under the IP. I use a drip pan under the truck to start with. Suspect areas are: filter gasket, low-pressure o-ring on the IP inlet., steel fuel line "olives" (seals), low pressure lift-pump, tank xfer switch.

2. Does your truck also stumble, stall or is hard to start when already warm? This is often an indication of a leak or blockage on the low pressure side.

3. However, you also seemed to indicate hard starting. In that case I'd check to see if upon initial cranking the lift pump is completely filling the fuel filter. Do this only after eliminating any leaks.

4. Last, consider checking for blockages. If a supply line or return line between the engine and tank is blocked in some way, it can cause the return line to return to the 2nd tank. The fuel tank selection valve only controls the supply lines. The lines inside the tanks are very very close to the tank bottom and anything from tank replacement to a collision can cause the lines to bottom-out on the inside of the tank.

4a. Any easy way to determine if you have a blockage is to temporarily replace the line to the lift pump with a short piece of fuel line from a 5 gal can of diesel. When doing this keep in mind that the 5 gal will disappear super quickly because its also being siphoned into your fuel tank via the return line. (be sure to shut off the truck before it runs dry). If it runs perfectly on the temporary tank, work backwards from your lift pump to find the blockage. Note: A blockage in one tank can effect both tanks because of the return lines.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
does anyone have part#s for the hard line olives? the ones in and out of the filter housing and the one on the IP might as well do those while i have it all apart and sealing everything..

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel tank selection valve only controls the supply lines.

I am not sure about the above statement. The valves have 6 ports, 3 of the ports are for the return system and to direct it to the correct tank.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No issues in my experience, I’ve been mounting them off the filter for a long time on lots of trucks, just takes a quality liquid filled gauge, used to use the Marshall gauges but they seem to have issues with the needle sticking now.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
so after almost a week worth of wrenching i have the third starter in it new o-rings fron the harbor freight kit (which are garbage btw do not use them ever) and new factory style return line kit it leaks like a mother on cly 8 and it will not start definitely has fuel in the rails and ststem glow plugs come on and pull power but i can crank it all day and nothing will happen. checked conections on the pump all look good and i can see bubbles coming out from the glow plug threads while cranking since there submurged in diesel now.... any ideas or should i just leave this pos on the side of the road with keys in it and a free sign on there ?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so after almost a week worth of wrenching i have the third starter in it new o-rings fron the harbor freight kit (which are garbage btw do not use them ever) and new factory style return line kit it leaks like a mother on cly 8 and it will not start definitely has fuel in the rails and ststem glow plugs come on and pull power but i can crank it all day and nothing will happen. checked conections on the pump all look good and i can see bubbles coming out from the glow plug threads while cranking since there submurged in diesel now.... any ideas or should i just leave this pos on the side of the road with keys in it and a free sign on there ?

Are you getting lots of white smoke out of the tailpipe while cranking? If not, you are not getting fuel. If you are, and you need to move the truck, disconnect the glowplugs and then give it a shot of ether while cranking it. That should get it going if you have white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. A little ether will not hurt it and it is nice to hear them run again sometimes.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
Well geez. If you're going to give it away, let me figure out a way to come and get it.LOL
haha well see i gotta keep s sense of humor or this would drive me insane... Its gonna be somethig stupid and a good learning experience now I know just about every inch of that moror and where all the leaks and things i need to work on it the future are.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was only half joking, but I'm glad that I don't have to try to figure out a short, little sleep tun to California and back. Mt next suggestion would be that since you know that your starter is good, check the condition of your batteries. Also check the condition of your battery cables and maybe remove the ground cables from the block and clean those spots real good. If these items aren't in good shape, your engine won't spin over fast enough to start, despite the condition of your starter.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
so batteries are new both are interstate. i replaced one of the ground cables becasue it was getting pretty bad the other one is not grest either might as well while im slaving away just to avoid future headaches.. the motor turns over pretty good now actually but ive had to crank quite a bit I let the glow plugs run till it clicks and i can see the voltage change when they turn off. and mabye 30 second bursts. then i let it sit for about 10 or so sec and hit again. every couple i fully cycled the key and let the glow plugs go. i did this for about 20 minutes usually it will start up after 3 or 4 times when its been sitting and aerated. the only thing i can think of is either the glow plugs arent actually lighting up which i did test them all they are all newer bosh and they all tested good with an ohm meter and they glow when touched with jumper cables. or mabye the enegine harness connector that partly metled wasent psuhed on all the way My buddy and i had it unpluged to make sure non of the other pins were damaged so its possible it wasent out back all the way which i belive that has the IP wires so that coulr prevent it i guess. but I know its got fuel lol as evidence from the ground around he truck and puddles i have to keep soaking up on the intake...

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you get white smoke out of the exhaust while cranking or not? Did you bleed the injector lines after you installed the new caps and return lines?

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
Do you get white smoke out of the exhaust while cranking or not? Did you bleed the injector lines after you installed the new caps and return lines?
i did bleed the lines part of why it cranked so much. also usually it does but i havent seen any smoke yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight