Fuel mileage.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 87 F250 6.9 NA C6 3.55 gets about 14-15 hwy with a short, light camper (just a cap, not a slide in) with a rebuild trans a few years ago, dunno how old the IP or injectors are. Engine likes to use oil but not "excessive" for an IDI, I guess.

You must be registered for see images attach

I use Fuelly. Check my sig for my truck and RV mpgs.
But you said you get 14 to 15mpg. And your fuelly says 12.8mpg.

Is the 12.8 an average of highway and city?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
But you said you get 14 to 15mpg. And your fuelly says 12.8mpg.

Is the 12.8 an average of highway and city?

I meant 14-15 hwy since that's often the default mark people point to when talking about their MPG.

12.8 is the average over the entire time I have owned/tracked it (Feb 2017-January 2019) for both city and highway. That also includes some of last year when I was pulling a 27ft travel trailer, getting 10mpg hwy.

If you look at this "recent" chart (Late Dec 2018-early Feb 2019), you'll see the 10mpg 100% city driving dip, a 14.5mpg 90-100% hwy jump when I went to check out the RV I ended up buying, then it drops back to 10mpg after I got back "home", when I was driving the truck still while I was getting various things fixed on the RV before I moved into it and was driving it full time.

You must be registered for see images attach

The following link is the chart showing the entire time I've had the truck. I've pretty much always tracked it's MPG so it's pretty accurate. You'll see the constant lower numbers last summer when I was pulling the trailer. In September it shoots back up to 14.5 and 15.5 in October, when I was no longer pulling the trailer.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-250/1987/cubey/555168/fuelchart

Oh and I should also mention, in late summer 2017 when the truck needed tires, I put cheap all terrain, which lost about 1.5-1.8 mpg for city and at least 1 for highway. The worn out highway treads definitely got better. You might notice how the lowest mpg used to be around 11.8 city and 15-16 hwy.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That is handy!!!

If you don't want to enter the data immediately when you fill up like I usually do, just write your odometer reading on your fuel receipt and enter it later. The receipt will shows the needed fillup info (price per gallon, how many gallons you got, total cost) so you just have to document the odometer. Sometimes I do that if I'm in a hurry.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I enter in odometer reading, instead of trip/miles.
So if I do a partial or skip one, I just add the gallons up, then enter current odometer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '94, I get 14 to 16 mpg. It has worn out injectors that are probably dribbling, because it leaves a trail of gray haze when I put my foot in it. Usually my around town and highway mileage are pretty similar.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is fully an app
Fuelly Android App Update. Today we are proud to announce that Fuelly has acquired aCar, a leading Android fuel logging app. The "fuel-up" process is the heart & soul of any fuel logging system. It should be as easy, fast, & accurate as possible to add data

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
So if I do a partial or skip one, I just add the gallons up, then enter current odometer.

Yep, I've done that before a few times, in order to get to cheaper fuel 30-40 miles down the road when it's a 15-20 cent difference in price. In the RV, every bit helps keep costs lower.

The 1980s Econolines don't even have a trip odometer, but I always used the main one in the truck too for Fuelly.

I also put in service records to Fuelly as "notes". You can put in your odometer reading, select the type of service, enter the cost, notes, etc.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to enter the data immediately when you fill up like I usually do, just write your odometer reading on your fuel receipt and enter it later. The receipt will shows the needed fillup info (price per gallon, how many gallons you got, total cost) so you just have to document the odometer. Sometimes I do that if I'm in a hurry.
I always fill up.
Always get a receipt.
And always write the odometer reading on the receipt.

Keep the receipts all together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Members online