Fuel mileage.

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
Mileage is variable depending on how YOU drive.
What kind of driving...highway or city.
Where you drive sea level, mountains, up hills, towing, hauling loads.

Between fillups notice the load in your truck.

Fill up the tank (up the filler neck until you can see fuel)
Fuel pumps will shut off at different fuel levels and due
to back pressure in your tank so you need to SEE the fuel
level.
The fuel tank filler pipe can hold at least a gallon of fuel.

Divide the number of miles you have driven by the number of gallons
of fuel used in the next fill up doing it the SAME WAY you did at the
previous fill up.

Your mileage will vary greatly, especially under heavy loads or towing trailers
up hills.
Also, if you have a heavy foot when taking off from stops you will
use excessive fuel.

Timing your speed between stop lights so you can roll through them
without stopping will greatly improve your mileage.

Driving no faster than 60 mph on highways will also improve your
mileage as your truck is not battling the wind resistance.
I know this from driving a Dodge van and a motorcycle for many years.
Using cruise control will also improve mileage.

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
Saburai,

I understand that issue. My 85 F350 takes forever to fill either tank because
they both vent poorly.
That, and the fact that today's fuel pumps shoot fuel so fast that the pump
handle keeps clicking off repeatedly even when the tank is not close to being full.
None of the 'notches' on the pump handle work to allow you to slowly put fuel in.
The pumps that are devoted to commercial trunks shoot fuel like a fire hose.
Holding the pump handle to allow the fuel to flow at a very slow rate will give you a hand cramp.
My Dodge van vents poorly too. The pump nozzle has to be at just the right angle and the speed of the fuel has to be slow or I spend a lot of time getting it topped off.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saburai,

I understand that issue. My 85 F350 takes forever to fill either tank because
they both vent poorly.
That, and the fact that today's fuel pumps shoot fuel so fast that the pump
handle keeps clicking off repeatedly even when the tank is not close to being full.
None of the 'notches' on the pump handle work to allow you to slowly put fuel in.
The pumps that are devoted to commercial trunks shoot fuel like a fire hose.
Holding the pump handle to allow the fuel to flow at a very slow rate will give you a hand cramp.
My Dodge van vents poorly too. The pump nozzle has to be at just the right angle and the speed of the fuel has to be slow or I spend a lot of time getting it topped off.

There's a filler neck mod that eliminates the problem for the most part. When I installed the auxiliary bed tank in Diego, I increased the the vent hole size on the front tank. It helped quite a bit.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since no answer was given for the indirect question, I'll ask the question directly. :D

What effect does a turbo have on the fuel mileage?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Simple searches would give the answer to most questions.
Simply put, if you keep your foot out of the new found power, mileage will increase.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure That's my problem. Lol I can keep up with traffic period now. Even on huge hills and going up the mountain. But I'm not complaining

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I can't say in my case. My two IDIs are so different in body size that despite the same engine and transmission, even without the turbo on the RV, it would get single digit mpg. If it had a 3.55 like the truck it might help matters some though.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I brought the truck home yesterday. I don't know if they added any fuel or not, while they had it. But I am going to assume not. In my experience, it comes out of there with less fuel than when it went in. Sometimes drastically less. LOL

So here's the numbers I have so far. I'm no mathmagician, so bear with me.

Last time I filled it up, the mileage was 230247. (I am not going to get down to exact tenths.)

Picked the truck up yesterday, and when I filled it, it was 230331. It took 7.3 gallons to fill. (Yes, here I use the tenths. LOL It makes more of a difference here.)

That is 84 miles. Divide that by 7.3 gallons. It got 11.5 miles per gallon.

Two caveats...

Problems. When I picked it up the last time, and filled it up, then... It had a problem with the brakes dragging. And possibly the TC not locking up. I test drove it a few times, and took it back. Then went to town when I picked it up this time, and filled it up again.

9 miles of that 84 miles is after the second time I picked it up. It does seem like the brakes are not dragging any more. But it still seems like something is dragging. Still have to keep my foot into it more than I like. Maybe the wheel bearings? I don't know. Eventually I'll get it figured out. Point is, most of those miles were with the brakes dragging.

Tenths. Ok, the tenths of miles ARE important, if you are trying to figure out whether your odometer is correct or not.

I checked my odometer on a 6 mile stretch of highway, where I know that the average over those 6 miles is very accurate. (Mile markers on the side of the highway. 2, are off by maybe 70 to 150 feet, but the average over the 6, is very accurate.)

In the one test I did, I lost 2 tenths of a mile, in the 6 miles. So if the odometer shows 5.8, it is actually 6 miles.

This difference means that the 84 miles the odometer showed, were actually 86 miles. Not enough of a difference to be concerned with, except on long mileage. I am not so obsessed with all this that I am going to be eaking out every tiny tenth of a mile in mileage stats to show off. I just want to know pretty close what my mileage is.

So lets just start with 11.5 miles per gallon, for the first fillup. We'll see if that changes over the next few fillups, and then over the next year or so...

Last edited:

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1/2 dozen or so 100 mile fill ups at almost all being 15.3 mpg. Lots of idle warm up time, lots of right foot, running at 2k 2.5k. Last 100 mile fill up was about 10 mpg.....??? Differance,, less warm up, way less right foot, and 1.5k-2k rpm. Im going to run through another 100 miles doing the same and see. Maybe I just made a miss calculation.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filled up again today.

10.9mpg.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1/2 dozen or so 100 mile fill ups at almost all being 15.3 mpg. Lots of idle warm up time, lots of right foot, running at 2k 2.5k. Last 100 mile fill up was about 10 mpg.....??? Differance,, less warm up, way less right foot, and 1.5k-2k rpm. Im going to run through another 100 miles doing the same and see. Maybe I just made a miss calculation.

I've always heard that "accelerating gently" helps mileage, but there's a sweet spot too. I was watching MPG readout on my other truck one time. Accelerating gently it was showing 8-10mpg until I got to speed, but getting in it it would only drop to 4-6mpg and it took much less time to get to speed. I got thinking about it and I'm sure it would be different if it was flat around here or going downhill, but if you're "too" gentle on the throttle you're not getting the efficiency either. 5 miles at 10mpg is worse than 1 at 4mpg and 4 at 20mpg.

Clear as mud? Made sense to me anyway lol.

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
I was able to squeeze 20 mpg out of my 86 6.9 f350 with a t19 not sure of the gear ratio but suspect it being a running gear. This was 100% Sunday highway driving with smooth take offs and max top speed of 55mph.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since no answer was given for the indirect question, I'll ask the question directly. :D

What effect does a turbo have on the fuel mileage?

Butt dyno says ' - mpg due to being floored\Spooled a LOT.

Eeking out mpg? Ittl go up.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I was able to squeeze 20 mpg out of my 86 6.9 f350 with a t19 not sure of the gear ratio but suspect it being a running gear. This was 100% Sunday highway driving with smooth take offs and max top speed of 55mph.

With the RV, I kind of have to lay into it more to not be taking off like a semi. Even then at what seems gentle and slow is probably a lot, given it's height.

Factory tach isn't an option, no clusters to fit vans have one. And I'm not too keen on spending the money for an aftermarket one.

I pulled the MaxxAir cover off of the roof vent on the cabover, but I doubt that'll really help much with MPG. But it certainly can't hurt. It's right up in the very front and catches a lot of wind despite being sloped like it is.

You must be registered for see images attach