Fuel Mileage

stevedrums

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced my injector pump and injectors at the same time when i bought the truck. i get 21 around town 19 on the highway (no overdrive)

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Around town 14 isn't the worst, but if there was highway in that then a fuel system refresher is in your near future

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
well i get like 8-10 so i think you are doing pretty good, however my 90 F-350 got 21 in town with 4.10's and 38's

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There really seems to be as much variability as 8-10 on the low end to 21-22 on the high side. I find the single digits on the highway and low 20s in town difficult to believe (not doubting anyone's honesty, more their measurements...or Ford's pathetic speedos and Odometers) but could easily believe high end on the highway and low end in town. Personally 11-14 in town 15-17 highway on B100, T18& 3.55s.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New IP and BB's...getting 10 solid around Delaware county (local stop and go) with a super light foot. I should be mid teens like several years ago...original Tranny/C6 TC maybe be slipping some :dunno
Aired up tires to max (80) to experiment...made no difference...dropped psi to 65 front 60 rear.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting about 15-16city, 20ish on the highway. Do mostly city and that is calculated. Don't do much highway during the summer.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all highway, 4.5 gallons took me 90 miles. so 20? Jeebuss, reall? Huh.. Need to top off and get past this SOTP/fuel gauge approximation BS I call mpg... but straight up eighth, added $18 in diesel went 75 read miles, 90 in reality.. (speedo is off, mulitply everything by 1.2 and dead to the nuts on according to iPhone... at the end of the 90, I was fuzz higher than straight up 8th

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I'm averaging roughly 17 right now with my rebuild uhaul pump under the hood.

But, I have a pretty good climb to get home every day from work, HWY 17 is pretty brutal on my fuel economy (and minivans running AC on the way to the beach...) LOL

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to average an easy 15-17 mpg mixed driving;Sweet. Running totally empty (which is rare) I get 17-19 mpg mixed driving using Power Service additive. Loaded heavily 4000# in the bed or towing my dump trailer, empty weight 1650#- loaded 6500#, I will get around 14 - 15.5 mpg.

If your truck has 140k miles, has the IP & injectors been replaced, if not you are over do based on average mileage life expectancy, of 80k to 100k miles.

topdog729

Reaction score
Prior to Ip taking a crap on me, I got about 21 hwy way and about 15 city. hwy was loading as I drove city was loaded and delivering. Fully loaded around 11,000 lbs. Seeing how your truck is a 90 as is mine, I m guessing we're running the same engine.
You may want to do some tuning on that thing.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, what kind of tuning can a guy do to help with mileage vs. power??
Or does giving the engine more power give better mileage, if a person could keep your foot out of it.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors are cheaper to start with that IP.
Timing! its everything, especially if its off.
Also, as I just found out a new muffler can be a good tune up.

Also: fuel filter, air filter, filters etc... Diesel is full of soot. It gets in everything, Think like it all needs cleaned up might be surprised how a few filters will affect things for positive.