Fuel leaking out the top of the filter housing.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove the f-350 for about 175 miles yesterday. It was the first real good road trip I have driven in this truck. Overall, I was very happy with the truck, and it only used about 10 gallons of fuel. So the mileage seems to be very good for a 20 year old truck!

I did notice when I was idling the truck at a few stops, I could smell diesel in the cab. I started looking in all the usual spots around injectors and return lines and so no sign of fuel in those areas. After I made it home and could look further, I finally found an area that was greasy looking on the top of the fuel filter housing. It seems to be leaking out of the electrical plug on top of the housing. Is this plug something that can be replaced, or do I have to change out the whole filter mount?

It wasn't leaking very bad. After 175 miles yesterday, it only had enough fuel to make the filter mount moist and drip a 2 or 3 inch spot down on the valve cover, but it still needs to be fixed before it gets worse. Now I am wondering if this is the point of air intrusion that makes the truck a little hard to start after sitting overnight?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The o-rings for your fuel heater have failed. They can be replaced. It is a little bit of an involved process, but very doable.
Yes it's likely also your air intrusion point. Also remove and test the check valve (it's the part where the return line attaches to your filter head.) You should only be able to blow one way through it. That's another common spot for air intrusion, and since you're going to be working right there...

Found you a youtube vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ILnpNCxu8

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Seems easy enough. Also seems like a good time to get at the Valve covers. The passenger one is leaking pretty bad at the rear by the air conditioner box.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again, this board has proven the best information available! I have not fixed this yet, but I have got the o-ring in my possession.

Last week, I called our local international dealer and was given the run-around. I told him what I had and what part I needed and was told that " Ford bought the engine from international, but put there own filter system on it.". He told me Ford was the only source for these parts. I didn't believe this guy since the filter has international cast right in the top.

I went back today armed with the part number from the tech article posted above. I am sure I talked to a different guy this time as he was much more help. He looked up the part number and said he had 1 in stock. He went to the back and came out with the part. Here is where it gets good. He said the price was $4.75, but the computer only shows one is stock, and there were 3 in the parts bin. Have a nice day sir, this one is on the house. Thank you international trucks in Little Rock AR.

And, a big Thank You to Exekiel for the tech article with the PN. I would have never got the part without it. BTW, ford said it was only serviced with the whole fuel heater for about 175 dollars.

Now I have a project this weekend. New question though. After I replace the fuel filter and put it back together, I have seen many people talk about refilling the filter with ATF first instead of fuel. Is this a good thing to do, and what are the advantages of this? Truck has 198,000 miles on it, and really a poor service history before me.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a pretty quick job. I had to fix it on my 94, got it back together and it was still leaking!! Looked close and the plastic elec. plug itself was cracked! :mad: So I had an extra one (parts truck) and I replaced the oring and it is fine.

The job can be done on the truck, but it is easier (for me at least) to take the filter head off and put it upside down in my vise. Be careful when your taking the big nut out that you dont break the little plastic pieces that are in the way of the 1-1/4" wrench.

I have filled the filter with ATF before, its not a bad idea, gives the pump a little extra lube.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that doesn't cure your leak look at the fuel pressure sensor. My dad's brand new used truck is leaking from the sensor its self. This is the one that sits horizontal towards the engine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This board is fantastic. I just ran into this same problem today. I love the internet!

Slim
This is why many of us hang out on this forum. For me I would rather help here than eat or drink.... And yes Ron... I'm always NPO till the UPS girl drops by.....:angel::moon:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful when your taking the big nut out that you dont break the little plastic pieces that are in the way.

so...my heater did not have these fragile plastic clips. Didn't even have a place for them. I guess I have a different design??

I also decided to refill th filter with seafaom treatment instead of ATF.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I use ATF because it is a good fuel system cleaner, and is generally cheaper than alot of the "Diesel fuel system cleaners" I see. Really what you put in the filter doesn't make a whole lot of difference, just make sure you fill it up from the outer ring of little holes. If you don't, you're putting unfiltered fuel/treatment into you IP, and that's a fast way to kill it.