FS - IDI Performance

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
I don't remember reading this so, what's the turnaround time? Since the truck would be down for the length of time it takes to redo the pump, it would be good to know.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a tough question to answer since I haven't heard of an IDI yet that can run a performance pump wide open on a dyno. Keeping the EGT's down to a usable level has been the issue so far for me. Maybe Barney and John will take a stab at establishing that figure. I need an intercooler! Reese, I hope to be able to offer an exchange pump at some point in the near future. Turn around right now is probably about 2 weeks. If you put out feelers, you would probably find someone with a spare pump they would float you in exchange for yours after the rebuild.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel,
Seeing as I have a stock, 93/4 turbo engine, and I am purchasing an intercooler, for use with it; what type of HP increase would you suggest may be possible with the upgraded pump? What about the addition of say....Methanol/water as well as or perhaps a nice addition of Propane?

Eventually I'll do nitrous....but not for some time a year or two anyway.

BTW are you aware of any methanol kits for the IDI? All I have found are for stupid stroke engines....damn electronics grrrrr

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys know HP is a function of fuel + air + RPM, so it's pretty hard to try and guess how much HP you could get, since we don't know how much air you can stuff in there. All I'm going to say is you probably can't find a way to burn it all without decompressing, so the answer is as much HP as you can make with a stock engine. I don't think DPS ever advertised an HP figure for their pumps for this reason, although they do claim a 25 HP increase with their injectors. If there was a 10 HP difference between the stock 6.9 and 7.3, then it seems at least 50 HP is a reasonable expectation on either model. I think a better way to look at it, is how much boost you can make with this pump. On my Hypermax pulse turbo, at 2100 RPM, if I stand on it (which I can't do for long because of the EGT's), the boost gauge shot up over 15 pounds and was still moving, which on my stock headbolts, I only saw for a second before getting scared and taking my foot off. Compared to an unmodded pump like the one on Lady Moose, which will only make 7 pounds max. DPS still offers a water/**** injection kit to the best of my knowledge.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I can say the same as far as HP gains for the PSD stuff, that is also why swamps and any other good builder will not rate for hp only flow .
there are many other variables.
I have already put bigger injectors in with no hp increase until the truck is tuned.
so to say that this pump makes *** hp then Joebob puts it on his 250k truck with bad injectors, leaky headgasket, etc and it makes no more hp they will be ******* .
Nick

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never pay attention to HP numbers. I don't care if I'm putting out 1 HP as long as I have 500 ft lbs of torque:D Which is what really makes you move.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I am asking how many horses is this pump capably of pumping, if it had plenty of air and everything was just right. I think there is some formula that can convert flow into hp. If I want 600hp is this gonna do the job. If I want 300hp am I wasting money?

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Thanks for the offers of pumps! I still have to get the other necessary pieces - turbo, injectors, intercooler, exhaust, head studs, gauges, etc, etc

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I am asking how many horses is this pump capably of pumping, if it had plenty of air and everything was just right. I think there is some formula that can convert flow into hp. If I want 600hp is this gonna do the job. If I want 300hp am I wasting money?

worry about 300 hp before ya worry about 600.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online