Front tank sending unit.

TexasTruck

Reaction score
One time I had to get replacement gasket for a hammer mill. At Ace Hardware they have sheets of red rubber industrial gasket material. Looks exactly the same as these tank seals but comes in square sheets. I too am having to rework my sending unit. My pickup/return pipes look like the out of yours. I know about ospho because we use it in marine environment to clean rusty steel stuff like chains etc.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discovered one bonus to the front plastic tank.

Old metal tank = 18 gallons.

Plastic tank = 23 gallons.

Didn't say new plastic tank, because the plastic tank is probably a decade older than the metal tank was.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So what did the "new" tank come out of?

Could have gone old school and gotten a behind the seat tank and put that in.... at least leaking diesel in the cab would be "better" than leaking gasoline.......

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just doing this on my 93...
Front sender was full of fuel, split length wise at the metal arm.
So' fun fact, the tank is metallic not plastic On this one...
60 k and the goofy poppet valve is mia.
Showerhead still supple.

Attachments

• 20230924_193856.jpg
    20230924_193856.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230924_134319.jpg
    20230924_134319.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 5

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
All idi's I've ever owned all had metal tanks, 87, 88, 89, and 90

Reactions: Clb

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 86 has 22 metal front, 19 metal rear
My 90 has 33 plastic rear
The 90 is a c&c, so that tank is narrower, and it won’t fit in place of the 19 on my 86. Damn it.

Both the tanks on my 86 have skid plates, that truck has skid plates in places I’ve never seen them before

The 90 has a tank skid plate too, but like said I won’t be able to make it fit

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
INTERESTING
My 93 extra cab has skid plates on both tin tanks.
I ran em dry then filled to the necks and got
19 front ( the one missing the poppet valve in the showerhead

and

18 in the rear ( gunna pull the sender tomorrow and edit this)
Hopefully I will get 3 more gallons of usable fuel fixing the showerheads...
Sounds like we may have a new tech 101 in the making here... ;Sweet

Eta
Fsm states extra cab
19 front
18.2 rear

Attachments

• 20230925_100851.jpg
    20230925_100851.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230925_100842.jpg
    20230925_100842.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Interesting. Yeah all my trucks were all fully constructed rigs, not cab N chassis.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '93 F 250 came with a plastic front tank and a skid plate. It's definitely larger than 18 gallons. It's still original while the steel rear tank rusted and leaked at least 18 years ago.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This tank was made in 89

You must be registered for see images attach

That looks like it has the twist-lock type sending unit lid.

My 1985 Cab-Chassis came with steel front tank and plastic rear tank.

It has the big plastic Mason-Jar type lid that cannot be found anywhere.

For the last thirty years, the ring on mine has been broken and is held together by a big hose clamp and sealed with a tube of that blue silicone gasket stuff.

Thankfully, the gauge on that tank still works and reads correctly.

A few years ago, or actually several years ago, the gauge quit reading at all; and, when I investigated, that little hollow copper float thingy was missing in action, floating around somewhere in the tank.

I got a new one at the local Ford garage and it has been fine since.

I have no idea how the original float could have gotten loose from the float arm.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the sending units, years and years ago, my front tank (steel) sending unit hadn't worked since like almost brand-new and I found a write-up on some site or other, maybe this one, where some guy discovered that the generic J.C.Whitney gauge sending units had the same electronics as that of our trucks; the same ohms resistance or somesuch ununderstandable over-my-head language.

I got myself the J.C.Whitney unit and retrofitted the necessary pieces onto the Ford assembly as per the wonderful pictorial instructive article and it is still working fine to this day.

I spent many hours of trial and error and got the gauge where Full is Full and Empty is maybe half-an-inch left instead of the gauge laying on Full for the first half-a-tank and then dropping like an anvil.

Like most of my repairs, that J.C.Whitney fix has more than far outlasted the original Ford junk.

Some years ago, I provided links to the instructions and links to the J.C.Whitney sending unit and took several cussings from people who probably screwed up the assembly somehow and then blamed me for pointing them in that direction.

All I can say is that mine is dead-on accurate and has been for many years and still going strong.

After saying all that I will say this, the factory two-tank set-up is highly problematic at best and after having several of those junk original fuel selector valves strand me in dangerous busy intersections and on the bypass at Atlanta, for the last many many years, I have two four-position Weatherhead manual fuel selector valves; one changes Draw and the other changes Return; I wouldn't have another electric valve on my truck and five big hunnert-dollar bills taped on it.

I couldn't count how many people I know who have ran around for years running on whichever tank was selected when the electric valve gave up the ghost and the other tank sloshing around with however much fuel was in it when the valve gave up.

My Front and Rear tank gauges are switched by a big DPDT switch that resides in the area between the driver seat and door, right beside my two manual tank selector valves and Mico Lock; the switch is oriented such that it switches fore and aft; Forward being Front tank and Rearward being Rear tank.

The big 52-gallon auxilliary has a separate gauge all of it's own.

Someday, I intend to put the front and rear tanks on individual gauges as well; such that, I can look at the level of any of the three tanks at a glance without having to mess with a switch and wait for the gauge to start reading --- it takes a bit for the gauge to start reading when switched from one to the other.

Back to the manual tank selector valves; besides having three tank positions, there is an OFF position which has came in handy on a number of occasions when I needed to completely stop the flow of fuel without having to stick the nose of a spark plug in a line.

Having the OFF position is probably a good anti-theft device as well --- providing one can remember to switch the fuel back ON and not start down the road and run out in the middle of pulling onto the highway and it take a few valuable minutes before it dawns on them to turn the fuel ON.

Plus, being able to switch the Returns independent of the Draws is a huge bonus; as, if I want a tank Empty for whatever reason, I can send the Return from that tank to another and it is surprising how quick it will pump Empty when the Return is going somewhere else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88