1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front tank sending unit.

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Selahdoor, May 20, 2020.

1. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

Entire unit was rotted.

Wish they hadn't sent it away. I could have welded/soldered new pipes to the old plate, myself...

2. Brent

Brent Registered User

@Selahdoor as far as your sending unit for your front tank is the same for plastic and metal. There should be a stamp of the manufacturer near the filler neck area. There are only a few manufacturers (MTS and Titian) that bought the molds for the plastic tanks. They should mount to the frame the same with the same brackets.

3. ifrythings

ifrythings Full Access Member

Those pictures were from 3 years ago, my brother has that tank which we modified a front gas sender to work in it (for a gas truck) all we did was straighten the pipes a bit and rebent the sending unit arm to reach the bottom and top of the tank.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1261619-1989-f250-project-8.html#post17220802

4. irhunter

irhunter Registered User

What capacity are those OEM plastic side tanks?

Roy

Selahdoor likes this.
  5. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

No eye deer.

Never filled it up yet.

I THINK it's 19 gallons.

~~~

Now considering waiting for the middle of summer, and just swapping the front tank from the other truck, to this one.

At the very least, taking the tank off the other one would give me that experience and I'd know how to put it back on this one. LOL

But I would definitely take the sending unit out of the other one before installing the tank on this one. Just to find out the condition of that unit.

While it was working just fine, when I was driving that one... There's no telling whether it is rotted, and about to let go, or not... I want to have a look, just for kicks and grins.

DaveBen likes this.
  6. ifrythings

ifrythings Full Access Member

It’s close to or is 22 gallon capacity.

Selahdoor likes this.
  7. coffeerich44

coffeerich44 Registered User

Out of the 2 plastic tanks offered in front I believe one was a 19 and the larger was a 22. I have the 22 that you cant get anymore anywhere from anyone nor can you get the sender. Apparently it wasn't a very popular setup. The smaller plastic tank has the sender mounted directly on top of the tank and the pickup/return line tubing has some good sized bends in them and are still available aftermarket.The larger one which I have has the sender off a bit on an angle and the tubes are almost straight. I had to buy the available sender and just re-bend the tubes to make it work. I only had to take the tank out twice to get it right. Good times....

Selahdoor likes this.