Front Crank Seal

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there should be 4, 3/8 bolts that hold belt pulley to the balancer. the balancer has one large bolt that goes into the crank, you will need a 15/16 socket to remove it. I used an impact to remove all the bolts.

the puller I used.
You must be registered for see images attach

the 4 bolts

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there should be 4, 3/8 bolts that hold belt pulley to the balancer. the balancer has one large bolt that goes into the crank, you will need a 15/16 socket to remove it. I used an impact to remove all the bolts.

the puller I used.

the 4 bolts

The Pic is worth a 1000 words. Thank you

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those three nuts welded to the front cover are for the factory seal installer. I have the sealer installer but you can easily make your own. Just cut a piece of steel or aluminum plate to cover the seal area. Drill holes in the plate where the welded nuts are on the cover. Screw in some all thread to the nuts. Set seal in place, then the plate and use nuts on the all thread to push in the new seal. Really easier than all this explanation. Finally make sure to add a drop of RTV on the end of the key way on the damper otherwise oil sure will leak out past the key way groove and make a horrible mess. the

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those three nuts welded to the front cover are for the factory seal installer. I have the sealer installer but you can easily make your own. Just cut a piece of steel or aluminum plate to cover the seal area. Drill holes in the plate where the welded nuts are on the cover. Screw in some all thread to the nuts. Set seal in place, then the plate and use nuts on the all thread to push in the new seal. Really easier than all this explanation. Finally make sure to add a drop of RTV on the end of the key way on the damper otherwise oil sure will leak out past the key way groove and make a horrible mess. the

Thanks for the trick and welcome Back mate

What's the torque spec on all

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All went well Monday Relatively Simple but rather messy. Old seal out, New Repair sleeve in place on the back of the damper as i could see the old Seal wear ring grooved all around the damper, New seal seated In place. added the Right stuff to the Key way , Damper back on little more of the Right stuff on the back of the crank big washer in place of the OEM stuff that i had to take off.

Put every thing back to where it belongs, let the truck set for the Right stuff to cure. Yesterday started the truck up and topped my Radiator with more coolant .All looked Boone dry by the front crank seal. Drove up & down the street, i rechecked then i was like ***. A streak of oil is coming out from behind the damper AGAIN ... what went wrong ( i used 1804009C91,Ford part number E3TZ-6700-A )

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this exact same thing happened to me and I used the ford seal. I did have a small groove in the damper but not that bad.

anyway, after it was all put together I ran the truck for a day or so and could clearly see oil drooling from the seal ring itself. I was pretty bummed but figured lets see what will happen. I wiped the oil spot and kept driving the truck and it has pretty much gone away. I would say its about 100% no leak at this point.

I would drive for a bit and keep an eye on the leak and see what happens.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this exact same thing happened to me and I used the ford seal. I did have a small groove in the damper but not that bad.

anyway, after it was all put together I ran the truck for a day or so and could clearly see oil drooling from the seal ring itself. I was pretty bummed but figured lets see what will happen. I wiped the oil spot and kept driving the truck and it has pretty much gone away. I would say its about 100% no leak at this point.

I would drive for a bit and keep an eye on the leak and see what happens.

The damper had grooved ring all around from the old seal so a sleeve in place. Hope the seal will seat and oil stops like yours did because am not sure what else could it be but sure enoought its aggravating

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the repair sleeve should have helped. I just thought it was wearied that mine leaked at first and then stopped.

time will tell I guess....

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Naaah It's oil, I cleaned every thing squeaky clean under with kerosene , it looks like a New Eng down there
I put in a front main. Had the same problem. Ended up being the mechanical lift pump. The gasket was leaking where the arm goes into the block to the cam. Super frustrating, it slipped around and was dripping from behind the dampner

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in a front main. Had the same problem. Ended up being the mechanical lift pump. The gasket was leaking where the arm goes into the block to the cam. Super frustrating, it slipped around and was dripping from behind the dampner

Well if that was the case for my truck wouldn't that show right away specially at fast idle and during the time it sat in the drive way which about 10 minute as i was waiting for the thermostat to open up so i can add more coolant (But it was bone dry then) ..! Am just thinking out loud. I have a lift pump gasket if that is all to it but hate to mess with things if aint brook

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Well if that was the case for my truck wouldn't that show right away specially at fast idle and during the time it sat in the drive way which about 10 minute as i was waiting for the thermostat to open up so i can add more coolant (But it was bone dry then) ..! Am just thinking out loud. I have a lift pump gasket if that is all to it but hate to mess with things if aint brook
Indeed, mine was dry until the next day when i went on a 45 mile parts run.
Your deal might be entirely different, just thought id let you know what happened to me. Still dunno how the oil went forward. But havnt leaked a drop since i delt with it

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you put a little sealant on the balancer before you pushed the sleeve on?