Front Crank Seal

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my front main as well thinking it was my oil leak... come to find out, it was a mix of 2 things... the front side of the passenger valve cover (front meaning the lip right by the filter head) was seeping... and the IP case is seeping.

The oil is running down behind the fuel filter and down the block. Very hard to see... ends up looking like a drip between the balancer and oil pan.

I snugged up the valve cover bolts and that fixed the majority of it (gaskets were new 6 months ago). Timing case is still seeping but not enough for me to worry about.

Also, I hope you RTV'd the keyway for the balancer and the back side of the center bolt. Otherwise, it'll leak like an sob.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my front main as well thinking it was my oil leak... come to find out, it was a mix of 2 things... the front side of the passenger valve cover (front meaning the lip right by the filter head) was seeping... and the IP case is seeping.

The oil is running down behind the fuel filter and down the block. Very hard to see... ends up looking like a drip between the balancer and oil pan.

I snugged up the valve cover bolts and that fixed the majority of it (gaskets were new 6 months ago). Timing case is still seeping but not enough for me to worry about.

Also, I hope you RTV'd the keyway for the balancer and the back side of the center bolt. Otherwise, it'll leak like an sob.

Yes i RTV'D both the Keyway and the Big fatty Washer not the main bolt head but there is enough to make its way for the bolt. Oil streak not coming from the front its behind the damper running down on the oil pan nose. running it today more than i did yesterday

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the seal is seeping then. Did you rtv the outer edge of the seal? Use anything on the balancer sleeve before putting it on? A thin coat of rtv on the balancer before installing the sleeve (or loctite) is always a good idea. I also always give the outer diameter of the seal a light coat of sealant as I've had new seals weep around the outer edges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online