Front Crank Seal

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun never ends, i been watching some oil leak under my steering stabilizer bar but its always been on the back burner as i had bigger fresh to fry.

I cleaned the area yesterday really good and took the truck for a short drive, i inspected the area, i found oil drips forming and coming out from right behind the damper. Found the seal on Rock Auto, my local part's store .etc but what about the wear sleeve where can i find it .

how much of a pain in my rear end this job. I called a family friend who own's a diesel shop to get him to do it but i was just curious

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
The parts stores are sending out the wrong seals... i just put one in, ended up being the lift pump leaking though - was dripping from behind the dampner

Need a puller/installer for the dampner i made one out of channel iron and ready rod. I was able to get the seal in with a hammer n patients. Might have to pull the radiator. Mine was out at the time - installed aluminum radiator.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock auto should have the sleeve as well. Recently did mine and the repair sleeve looked like it required the damper to be machined down to fit it on there. (National 5066).

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome links , Where did you guys order the National 99250. I am guessing the Seal it self can be brought at any local parts store.

it sound pretty straight forward job , but need a bigger torque wrench , Harmonic and fan clutch puller

How did you stop the crank from turning

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a motorcraft front seal. It seemed to fit well.

I'm not sure how it happened but the harmonic balancer that was on the motor I put in my truck had a small crack in it where the square key went through.

I say this just so you can take a closer look so you don't have the same problem. I'm sure if I didn't notice it and used it I would have had a leak. I'll post a picture of it later.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock auto is where I got mine I believe. Google the PN. Shouldn't be hard to find.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Awesome links , Where did you guys order the National 99250. I am guessing the Seal it self can be brought at any local parts store.

it sound pretty straight forward job , but need a bigger torque wrench , Harmonic and fan clutch puller

How did you stop the crank from turning
Chalk the tires and 5th gear. Lol

For the fan clutch i used a big cressant wrench and a hammer. It took some time but got er done.

I believe the torque spec for the harmonic balancer is around 100#

Other than that, theres nothing magical about it, just a seal behind a bunch of stuff

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for your viewing pleasure....

You must be registered for see images attach

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chalk the tires and 5th gear. Lol

For the fan clutch i used a big cressant wrench and a hammer. It took some time but got er done.

I believe the torque spec for the harmonic balancer is around 100#

Other than that, theres nothing magical about it, just a seal behind a bunch of stuff

You can't do it with E4OD Boss

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what Rockauto show's

Is this is an Oil seal With built in sleeve

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=253902&cc=1126730&jsn=522&jsn=522

Sleeve

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=257698&jsn=549&jsn=549

And there is this Timken Seal

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1119448&cc=1126730&jsn=525&jsn=525

So many and not sure which is the right Part to order and what is the difference between the Timken and the National Seal

Also am just curious do you always end up installing a sleeve or just replace the seal

Last edited:

shawn deere

Reaction score
You can't do it with E4OD Boss
Yup. I cheated. Lol
Maybe if you leave the belts on had a handy helper on the fan clutch to hold it while you get the balancer broke free?
An impact on a crank just seems like a bad idea to me...
i don't remember which brand i bought first, but i got to buy two. I think it came from advanced auto maybe? The speedy sleave sure as **** didnt fit tho

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see there is 3 bolts inside which mount the Pulley to the damper, don't think they would be much of a trouble , Now once the Pulley is out i should be using an impact to remove the big crank Nut followed with harmonic balancer to pull the damper Correct ?

How much torque on the small 3 bolts and the Crank Nut