Front main speedi sleeve install

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
installing a new front main seal. The seal comes with a ring i assume goes on the dampner shaft to compensate for the groove wore in it.
The shaft measures 2.5"
The inner diameter of the sleeve is 2.47"
Ive heated and tried to pound it on. Do i need to get it cherry red and try again?
Thanks!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the 1 you need.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yours is too small I think.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Kk new seal ordered.
Got the seal in the block last night, good practice I suppose
Also discovered the rubber on the balancer isnt quite right. Got a new one ordered also.
Thanks guys!

kodiak98400

Reaction score
I need to install this National 99250 sleeve on my balancer. the guy at napa says its only the speedy sleeve. Is there a special seal to use with this or can you use the factory seal ?

shawn deere

Reaction score
It would have to be a match between the speedi sleeve and the seal

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to install this National 99250 sleeve on my balancer. the guy at napa says its only the speedy sleeve. Is there a special seal to use with this or can you use the factory seal ?
oem seal is fine. the national sleeve covers the entire seal surface and is "paper thin"

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kk new seal ordered.
Got the seal in the block last night, good practice I suppose
Also discovered the rubber on the balancer isnt quite right. Got a new one ordered also.
Thanks guys!

If you are installing a new balancer, you do not need to install the sleeve. Just keep it for 10 years later when you go in there again and there is a groove on the new balancer.

I didn't know about the sleeve being wrong, was in a hurry and had a lathe available, so I turned a little bit off the balancer so the sleeve that is too small would fit.

shawn deere

Reaction score
I didn't know about the sleeve being wrong, was in a hurry and had a lathe available, so I turned a little bit off the balancer so the sleeve that is too small would fit.
Now that is some can do attitude!

kodiak98400

Reaction score
thanks towcat thats the info i was looking for. Its my old balancer with a nasty groove in it. Just wasn't sure about the seal.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you sand/emery cloth down any imperfections on the balancer before you drive the sleeve on. permatex #2 or other non hardening sealant on the balancer before driving on the sleeve. be careful not to drive the sleeve on too far , be VERY carefull peeling the end off the sleeve after install. speedy sleeves are very easy to damage installing.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Thanks for this info! I just bought 2 sleeves, one for a leaker and one for a rebuild in the future. $29.99 at O'Reillys; ordered in the morning, picked them up at 3 pm.

RockAuto does not list them and the ones they sell are the wrong size (Pioneer HB-3124).