Front axle question.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 89 f250 has the stupid twin I beam crap axle and I want to do a solid axle swap and just wondering how hard it is to do? Should just be unbolting the steering components and brake line then the drive line and leaf spring bolts slid it all out right?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
It's pretty much plug and play. Crossmember does not change.

I swapped a '90 f250 4x4 from ttb to dana 60 in about half a day in the driveway with some power tools, floor jack, and jack stands. Main thing is to have all the pieces. Sent the driveshaft out for shortening the following week.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool that’s good to know I’m gonna go out to a local parts yard tomorrow afternoon and see if I can find an axle I would really like to get this and new tires rods on before I put my new tires on. This axle now has just been chewing tires up

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done the swap on two of my trucks now and its a complete bolt in. The only exception is '85 and older trucks lack the mounting holes for the track bar bracket but those are easy enough to drill. To do it right you'll need:
Axle
Springs (Don't use the TTB springs, the ride will be extremely harsh)
Track bar and mount
Lower U-bolt bracket for the driver side
Rear spacer blocks (F350s used taller blocks under the rear springs to level the truck)
Front driveshaft (F350s used a double cardan joint shaft to eliminate vibrations) Some guys re-use their original front shaft but you may have vibration problems.
Front output yoke on the transfer case is also different for the double cardan shaft, you'll need to switch that to make the F350 shaft work.
Get the pitman arm too if possible, they are slightly different. I believe the F350 pitman arm is slightly longer or angled differently but I can't remember which.

Also, depending on the year of the axle you use you may have to replace the calipers because of different mounting.
Its easiest if you can find a complete donor truck to get everything at once. Not a difficult swap at all and well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info. Ya these axles mite be ok in a half ton?‍♂️ But not under a heavy diesel lol but I guess that’s an engineer for ya!