Front ARB in the Dana 60

tpruitt

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install the front gears now and i am debating getting an ARB for the front while i am at it. I am running a Detroit in the rear and might as well put a ARB in the front but wanted to see what others think. How well do they hold up in our applications. What would be the thing that break when using the ARB with the CAD design of our front Diffs. I have done a search and have found most people to have like the ARB but just wanting more input.

Thanks

B

Big K

IMHO

The ARB, at least in open form, is a tough unit. Prolly better when locked. Well constructed. If it's what you want, then don't hesitate. It's stronger than an open carrier, and most L/S and lockers.

Enjoy.:D

Sounds like you're building a killer off-roader. :cool

If you bust the CAD, then just swap one in from an '02. Or there's Currie, Dynatrac, and Cone. If you can get Sandy to get it done in a reasonable amount of time :rolleyes:

:D ;p LOL

tpruitt

Reaction score
thanks for the info i will order one tomorrow. From what eveyone has told me from here TDR and PS. it sounds like it would work really well.

Thanks again,
Trey

CumminsHighBoy

Reaction score
Tpr.. just be careful putting em in.. Not from personal experiance.. But i have heard if ya don't get em in there just right.. They have a tendancy to break in no time.. Had a friend do that in his bronco. And those don't have near the power to break em like you would.

B

Big K

No differential or gearset should be installed, nor set up by anyone without proper skill. Especially in our trucks. This is no place to cut corners, and I'm sure that most don't. It's not rocket science, but it does take knowledge, experience, and patience.

Hire a pro.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
How well do they hold up in our applications. What would be the thing that break when using the ARB with the CAD design of our front Diffs.

Front applications.
They hold up extremely well. Very Strong 4 pinion design.
Break an axle before you break the ARB You'll go though axle u-joints if you use much and I assume you intend to use it a lot.

I have a ARB in the front dana 60 axle of my old chevy. Its been in there for at least 12 years now. No problems. The newer ones have a much better air compressor than the one I have.

That's my 2¢

Dodgeman101

Sled ******
Reaction score
More ??

Does anybody know what model would be needed for a 99 Dodge ? The application guide says rd95 or rd 96 depending on gear ratio. I thought I read somewhere the splines were different? I am looking at installing a ARB locker and I don;t want the compressor just the spool.

Dodgeman101

B

Big K

Re: More ??

Originally posted by Dodgeman101
Does anybody know what model would be needed for a 99 Dodge ? The application guide says rd95 or rd 96 depending on gear ratio. I thought I read somewhere the splines were different? I am looking at installing a ARB locker and I don;t want the compressor just the spool.

Dodgeman101

:confused:
Do you already have on-board air to power the unit into lockup?
Without air, it's just a strong open carrier. Don't know what you mean by "spool", in this application. That would indicate lockup mode, which requires air.

I'm not aware of different spline counts, but gear ratio makes a difference. Front or rear?

EDIT - My gear ratio break points were incorrect as applied to the heavy duty axles, so I removed them. They vary with application.

Last edited by a moderator:

dodgeman01

TOWN DRUNK
Reaction score
I have an open Diif in the rear of my 94 Dodge. I would like to get a good limited slip for it. What is a good brand and how much should I look to spend?
thanks
DM01

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828