Freeze plugs have arived

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
This is my block with the brass plugs that napa put in. How would I get these out and put the new stainless ones in?

You must be registered for see images attach

I also posted some picks of my little shop , "dog house in the making", just for the hell of it.

Thanks guys

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never needed to take out a freeze plug before, but I would imagine you could just drill a hole in it and use a dent puller to yank it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can use a punch and hammer on one side so the other side lip will come put and then You can pull it with pliers or channel locks. Be careful to punch one side only You don't want to drive the hole thing IN.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its not possible to push them into the block and loose them. They sit in a recess designed into the block. They block heater is the only holes that is machined straight into the block without a lip or recess. The stainless freeze pluge measure about 1.4985 and the block holes are 1.500. You really need the special tool that sets these correctly. Sorry I don't have one. You might ask Nappa if they used it and if so will they install the new set for you. Drilling a hole and using a dent puller is about the only good way of removing them.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
We always used a 12" long center punch, drove it through the center, then used it as a pry bar. Can pop about 10 of them out while you are putting the drill bit in your drill! :) Really, it works well if you have the punch.

Personally, from the picture you posted, I would not let whomever put those in do another set! Looks like they dimpled only the center and did not expand the plug properly, but that is just what it appears like in the picture.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice shop and mascot....:D On your pistons, make sure the pin clips are set properly. That is the open part is facing towards the top or bottom of the piston. Otherwise they can pop out when the piston is returning from top or bottom of the stroke. Just think how fast the piston is moving and then it stops and starts going to other direction. I like to place the clip opening at the bottom side of the piston.