Freeze plug question?

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
I forgot to tell the machine shop to not remove the freeze plugs and they did. They put in these with this brown stuff around them and on the face. The brown stuff is very hard too. Should i remove these plugs and put in the stainless ones that are supposed to be in it? I do have the instillation tool. If so whats the best way to remove them? And what is that brown stuff, it seems like good stuff?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remove them and buy only the oem stainless steel ones from Ford or International. They come in a bag of 7. Use the special tool you have for installing them and use a good quality sealant. Hylomar works as does preamtex avaitation cement. Drill a hole in them and pop them out. I drilled and tapped a hole and made a slide hammer to pop them out.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it isnt very clean for coming from the machine shop..That brown stuff wont hold them in. If my block was laying on the ground, id tap it for big pipe plugs and install them with permatex #1 which is hard brown stuff.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
I agree i am quite disappointed on the cleanliness. You mean like threaded plugs to put in, because thatd be pretty sweet?! Icanfixall- how did you get the end of a slide hammer to get behind the plugs? And where can i get hylomer, is it the same stuff people are using on head gaskets?

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
I agree i am quite disappointed on the cleanliness. You mean like threaded plugs to put in, because thatd be pretty sweet?! Icanfixall- how did you get the end of a slide hammer to get behind the plugs? And where can i get hylomer, is it the same stuff people are using on head gaskets?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You want to replace those things for sure and ONLY get the stainless plugs from the ford or IH dealer, others do not measure out correctly.
You can get the Hylomar racing formula at Amazon.com also most large airfields that have parts sales will sell the Hylomar Aerograde which is the same as the racing formula but it tends to cost a bit more due to having to pass the aircraft certifications. It really is the best choice because if you get an imperfect seal with a plug duriing warm up or cool down while the block is expanding and contracting, the Hylomar forms a curtain that maintains the seal and forms back onto place. Pretty nifty stuff..

It's easy to remove the things, just drill a hole ( put some grease on the bit to lessen shavings) and then poke a heavy screwdriver or bar in the hole an pry them out. they pop out fairly easy. then go to radio shack etc and get a little round magnet and tie it to a length of fishing line and drop it down the holes to grab up the ramaing shavings ( providing that isn't brass under all that goop, if it is, you'll just have to flush it like crazy )

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above is how I removed my plugs but after I drilled the holes I tapped in some threads for the slide hammer allthread rod. I'll bet you going to be shocked at how badly those plugs were installed by the shop. When I tested my slide hammer on a spare block the plugs were tuff pulling out.