Frame rot

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both rear spring hangers rusted out, one is broken and the spring is riding on the bed! Also the frame has some bad surface rust, no holes, but you can tell its getting thinner. I have found brand new replacement hangers and shackes for less than $200. What bothers me is the frame, the hitch is rusted bad too but I have a replacement already. Since I tow alot, what can I do to reinforce this? I'm thinking about welding a piece of 3/16 steel to the inside of the frame.:dunno

tractorman86

Reaction score
go big or go home 1/2" LOL jk not sure but i'd think that would be a good idea, overlay it about 6" on either side of the rot.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What really sucks is that all of the frame infront of the rear hangers is exelent, for an OHIO truck. The fenders and bed have the typical rust spots starting but the floors are perfect except for the weld joint on the front cab mounts but I took care of that over the winter when the trans was out.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Me Too!

My truck is a frame rust truck too. That is why I'm selling it. The original owner had the frame after market rust proofed. A big mistake. Maryland uses 100% salt for snow. The salt water got behind the rustproofing and did a number on the frame. Engine is fine, the frame scares me. Just had front leaf spring u-bolts break whie riding. Suggest you look at the front leaf spring u-bolts while you're at it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would be tempted to cut out the rot and eld new plate in. rust is one of those enemies i hate dealing with.

after you do whatever, i would seal it up with some good stuff like por15

Need4racin

Reaction score
grind it down with a wire wheel till you get all the rust off. You might have some pitting you can't get off. But as long as the paint seals it, it should be okay.

Hit it with some rust bullet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online