Found what my truck can't tow....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did heavy haul [ up to 200,000 lbs ] for 20 years. I know about pushing things to the limit. You take some states[Tn,Va] will give you 24,000 lbs on the steer axle. That's 12,000 lbs on a 6,000 tire. Don't tell me about stupid!! I have not nor will not push anything that far past the limit. Even if it is legal. Ben knew he was not safe and didn't pull it. Hats off to him!!
i really doubt the state will allow the 12k axle to go that far.
there are 25k axles and tires to match. I've driven those monsters and they are no fun to drive. the tires are huge and wide. because they're wide, they'll follow every damn groove in the road as well and any ruts. you would think because of the wide tire, the ride would be nice and soft with easy driving, the reality is quite the opposite..

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have driven a few of those on conrete haulers....I was amazed at their ability to more or less pick there own line and make you force them into going where you want them to go.....damn impressive weight ratings, but there is no way I would want to guide one of them around for a long distance run

sootman73

Reaction score
we have concrete truck tires on the front of our roll off truck at work. not too bad to drive but when i go to the compost yard there is no such thing as turning where you want to go. get on an inch of snotty stuff and hard packed underneath and you go whatever way you are pointed. then again that mack has what i would have to think is a 200 ft turning radius. can't believe it makes corners on the street.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page 2 of this thread turned into a real cluster, and there were clear forum rules violations. The posts have been deleted to return the integrity level for which this forum is known back to normal levels. I understand and appreciate how a person could get emotional about this kind of thing, but name calling is not appropriate or allowed. I don't agree with trying to tow this monster either. I'd bet the empty trailer exceeds the tongue weight limit. This is being moved to towing and hauling since it has degraded thusly into what it is.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Page 2 of this thread turned into a real cluster, and there were clear forum rules violations. The posts have been deleted to return the integrity level for which this forum is known back to normal levels. I understand and appreciate how a person could get emotional about this kind of thing, but name calling is not appropriate or allowed. I don't agree with trying to tow this monster either. I'd bet the empty trailer exceeds the tongue weight limit. This is being moved to towing and hauling since it has degraded thusly into what it is.

I didn't delete them as I wanted you all with more experience to see them and act accordingly. Thanks Mel

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
There would be 24k pushing you when the truck brakes lock up trying to stop. That is the forces pushing you sideways, front ways, back ward, anyway it wanted to push you. Because a 7k truck is not enough to control a 24k load behind you. That is why trailers have brakes

And jack knifing can happen between 5mph and 100mph. Speed plays NO Part in it. But hey, if you want to kill your self , i'll just stay in my state and watch you on the news

I've hauled 30 000 on the SAME type of trailer, in a freezing rain storm where the trailer brakes wouldn't work.....no jack knifing. Be it skill, or luck....I've never had a jack knife situation in 6 years now.

What causes a jack knife is when the trailer tries to overtake the attached tractor (be it pickup truck honda civic whatever it is)

As a trucker, you learn things that help control situations like this. Controlled braking on hills, NEVER let a trailer push you around a corner...at ANY speed, and most importantly, no matter how slow your rig goes, ALWAYS leave a little power in reserve to help control a jack knife situation.

Going 10 MPH with the front tires off the ground potentially COULD cause a jack knife situation. But as the truck was going backwards, the trailer is just going to drag the truck, not try and overtake it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Sootman73, first off, if I said anything out of line or anything that offended you or anyone else, I apoligize.

I am just amazed that an old F250 truck would move such a load. Makes you realize how tough these things really are. You did the responsible thing by not towing it on the open road, but it was a kick @$$ feat to move it across a yard!

sootman73

Reaction score
Sootman73, first off, if I said anything out of line or anything that offended you or anyone else, I apoligize.

I am just amazed that an old F250 truck would move such a load. Makes you realize how tough these things really are. You did the responsible thing by not towing it on the open road, but it was a kick @$$ feat to move it across a yard!

no you're fine i'm not upset. i just thought i'd show what i did and what i learned. thought it was cool that it took the weight and that it would have been driveable under different circumstances. obviously it wasn't safe for me or the lives of others and would probably break something on the truck. i figured i had to give it a try just to see because it worked at work but they have much longer trailers.

Mel, i apologize if i did not hold myself back but its difficult when i just wanted to show everyone something and then get hit right in the mouth for sharing. i know how this board is and when such actions took place it got me fired up. :sorry:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Personally I don't think you did anything unsafe at all.....maybe voided the warranty a little lol, but nothing I wouldn't do in my own yard!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's no problem. Everybody is human. We won't hold anything against anybody for an occasional outburst.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was backing down the driveway in four low(hubs not locked) and was sliding the tires as i was trying to stop!
Just wondering why you had it in 4-wheel low without the hubs locked in?

oh and i didn't tow it. never would have made it before a u-joint or the carrier bearing went out. they put it behind their F550 PSD. and then we were going 65mph on the expressway. the sad part is that he rode my a$$ with out any problems. i kept thinking that i would have to slow up for him to keep up. Guess i was wrong
Ya, and I can just see you going down the expressway at 10 MPH. LOL

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Oldbull,

His truck must have manual front lockouts. If this is the case, he was actually in "2 lo". You can enguage the transfer case with the gearshift and not have the lockouts, locked. I could do this on an F-150 we had at one time, manual t-case and manual lockouts. The newer trucks with ESOF, the lockouts lock automatically, and tell the computer (somehow) they are locked and they the t-case will shift. So running 2 lo in a ESOF truck is not possible. I have read that if you have a vaccume leak in the fron hubs, they will not enguage, and the t-case will not shift, causin the 4x4 light in the instrument cluster to flash, just like an E4OD in "limp mode"

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
there is a disconnedt that you can run in them I read about somewheres, I think it may have been a Dodge truck that had the Vaccuum disconnect kit.

sootman73

Reaction score
Oldbull,

His truck must have manual front lockouts. If this is the case, he was actually in "2 lo". You can enguage the transfer case with the gearshift and not have the lockouts, locked. I could do this on an F-150 we had at one time, manual t-case and manual lockouts. The newer trucks with ESOF, the lockouts lock automatically, and tell the computer (somehow) they are locked and they the t-case will shift. So running 2 lo in a ESOF truck is not possible. I have read that if you have a vaccume leak in the fron hubs, they will not enguage, and the t-case will not shift, causin the 4x4 light in the instrument cluster to flash, just like an E4OD in "limp mode"

yea someone changed the hubs out of this thing before i got it so i thought they were stock but alas they are not and its impossible to find gaskets to keep grease in.... guess i have to buy new hubs cuz i can't get just them gaskets....:backoff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance