Found what my truck can't tow....

sootman73

Reaction score
really? explain how everyone that crosses my path would have been killed? remember we have flat ground here so no runaway on hills. if i had to stop i would only need truck brakes if that to stop on flat ground. And to go 10-15 mph my truck would have stopped it fine from that speed.

what do the weights matter? at work we tow dozers and backhoes with 3500 chevy's. trucks are 10,000 but the gross comes to close to 40,000#. been doing it that way for 60 years without problem.

and how would mister expert do it? and remember this is all coming straight out of your pocket with none going in.

Last edited by a moderator:

sootman73

Reaction score
I had JD310 hoe that I pulled with my HD250 all the time. 3 axle trailer so weight was dist. pretty well. Getting going was slow but stopping was the real challenge. Some of us buy trucks for work, not soccer games. Boom overhang would have been like a target for "the man". LOL! Sometimes ya do what ya gotta do

exactly. i think the trailers at work would have done better because they are about 6 ft longer. i know we dont have half that much tongue weight on the trucks at work. but thats because we can keep the hoe and dozers back farther on the axles.

sootman73

Reaction score
actually i've been pulled over by the weighmaster at work. its legal. gotta have the right plates and its legal. what it says on the door sticker doesn't matter as long as you have the right plates. oh and remember i didn't tow it. had the trailer and load been dispersed correctly i would have. why in the hell do you think i didn't tow it once i got the thing loaded. just because it didn't work on my truck doesn't mean it doesn't work.

The trailer is not gonna jackknife. there's no way it could. that means that somehow i would have to lock up the tires with the brakes. not gonna happen. and the tires skidding when trying to stop was in reverse, on grass, in 2LO, while turning.

you come and tell my boss he's a fool. hell come tell the area weighmasters that they dont know what they are doing. its worked for 3, count them, 3 generations without a problem. many different drivers but all with the same training. we dont get going at 55-60mph. theres no rush in saving ten minutes of time. 45-50 is safe as the brakes will stop everything pretty fast. i know cuz i've done it and the guy i work with(23 years there) has done it.

but i'm done arguing with someone that hasn't done it. obviously you dont pay for all the extra costs of medium/heavy duty truck operation and licensing and insurance and parts. Can be double or more the cost of operating a light duty truck. If you did then you would think twice about spending that money just to go faster.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow guys, lets all chill out with the name calling....not to step on anyones toes, but rewind a second and gain some perspective....The title of the thread was what his truck CANT tow.

Ben - I would agree with the @-hole statement if you decided to go running down a road like that even at 10 mph....at that point you would have been a redneck suicide bomber (more than anything cuz you would have had no streering wheels....redistributed it would have been another story.

As far as weights - I spent about 5 years running heavy truck....there is alot science in real hauling...yes there is a plate on the door, but it is a guide as to what the manufactuer is standing by....on my f350 it shows a 4700lb front axle weight rating, and 11k rear...and the truck is rated for 10k....do the math and the truck can safely carry 15.7k, or roughly 50% more than the rating....my truck has routinely passed the scales grossing 30k, to be honest, I would start to worry closer to 40k, but then again, its all in the science of it.

sorry for the rant, but my point is take the thread for what it is...ben - that was cool as hell to see....looked like if you were to jump on the hitch you could have had the front end doing a mexican hoopty.

wpfd571

Reaction score
What i dont understand is if you were only going 12 miles and only planed to go 10-15 mph with your truck why didnt you just drive the backhoe??? Some times you just have to take a step back and look at the situation and think wow thats really stupid, What was i thinking huh..........

sootman73

Reaction score
wow guys, lets all chill out with the name calling....not to step on anyones toes, but rewind a second and gain some perspective....The title of the thread was what his truck CANT tow.

Ben - I would agree with the @-hole statement if you decided to go running down a road like that even at 10 mph....at that point you would have been a redneck suicide bomber (more than anything cuz you would have had no streering wheels....redistributed it would have been another story.

As far as weights - I spent about 5 years running heavy truck....there is alot science in real hauling...yes there is a plate on the door, but it is a guide as to what the manufactuer is standing by....on my f350 it shows a 4700lb front axle weight rating, and 11k rear...and the truck is rated for 10k....do the math and the truck can safely carry 15.7k, or roughly 50% more than the rating....my truck has routinely passed the scales grossing 30k, to be honest, I would start to worry closer to 40k, but then again, its all in the science of it.

sorry for the rant, but my point is take the thread for what it is...ben - that was cool as hell to see....looked like if you were to jump on the hitch you could have had the front end doing a mexican hoopty.

well i took it for a test down the driveway which is were i decided not to haul it.

What i dont understand is if you were only going 12 miles and only planed to go 10-15 mph with your truck why didnt you just drive the backhoe??? Some times you just have to take a step back and look at the situation and think wow thats really stupid, What was i thinking huh..........

because it all came down to the hours i wanted to pay for. it would have been an hour drive through all the city streets one way at $40/hr. and that isn't too bad but that would leave me 6 hrs to do the job. which i couldn't do in that time. at that point they would have charged me another $250 for the next 8 hr day.:eek: plus fuel costs.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ben - that was my point - your not an @-hole cuz you realized you were "over the limit" and backed off....had you continued....well it would just depend on how many people are around and what kind of environmental conditions there were...but honestly, I do think with a better weight distribution you could have pulled it off.

As far as the trailer brakes etc, back in the day a 45 mile run with a heavy pulling a quad axle 63' custom office trailer with no trailer brakes .....damn thing weighted 68k.....got our permits and did it at 11:30 pm, had 4 spotters and took it at 25 mph...no issues whatsoever...its all in using common sense.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
good points there tim its all in realizing what the limits are. We recently went and got a load of alfalfa from missouri(2000 miles away) with my bros 93 dodge cummins dually and a 24 ft goosneck trailer. ended up leaving the scales with a gross weight of about 30,000. the truck pulled it ok but stopping was scary even though we had trailer brakes on one axle, so we slowed it down to around 55. Around huntsville(about 2-3 hours out) we lost rear brakes on the truck we had to slow it down to about 40. Things don't always work the way you want them to and you just have to make the best of all of it.

And before anyone goes to screamin about us being over wieght, we had a weight limit of 40,000 lbs because in the state of texas if you are hauling non commercial agriculture you have that extra leeway. I dont see why people have to come in and bash the op for this he was being careful and if you wanna gripe about the broken parts its not your vehicle and you dont have to pay to fix it.

sootman73

Reaction score
there are no forces acting on the truck to make it slide sideways. which is what jack knifing is is when the trailer pushes the truck around sideways and keeps going. how much energy(speed) would there have to be to make this happen? not enough for as fast as i would be going. and turns would be even slower to prevent this further.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am guilty of pushing my truck way beyond it's limits. sometimes you have to just get her done.....just keep your commonsense about you, keep your wits and be safe. I had this monster blow it's hydraulic drive in the fast lane, no go nowhere. My tare is 22k, registered gross is 26k, axle legal gross is 33k front and rear, tare on this monster is 19.5k. I had CHP on my ass to get it cleared in rush hour traffic, neither one of us said anything about the numbers, and the sweeper is owned by the state. DOT even worked as a blocker for me the entire tow:D;Sweetcookoo

Attachments

• 05-07-06_1607.jpg
    05-07-06_1607.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 05-07-06_1658.jpg
    05-07-06_1658.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 3

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
there are no forces acting on the truck to make it slide sideways. which is what jack knifing is is when the trailer pushes the truck around sideways and keeps going. how much energy(speed) would there have to be to make this happen? not enough for as fast as i would be going. and turns would be even slower to prevent this further.

There would be 24k pushing you when the truck brakes lock up trying to stop. That is the forces pushing you sideways, front ways, back ward, anyway it wanted to push you. Because a 7k truck is not enough to control a 24k load behind you. That is why trailers have brakes

And jack knifing can happen between 5mph and 100mph. Speed plays NO Part in it. But hey, if you want to kill your self , i'll just stay in my state and watch you on the news

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did heavy haul [ up to 200,000 lbs ] for 20 years. I know about pushing things to the limit. You take some states[Tn,Va] will give you 24,000 lbs on the steer axle. That's 12,000 lbs on a 6,000 tire. Don't tell me about stupid!! I have not nor will not push anything that far past the limit. Even if it is legal. Ben knew he was not safe and didn't pull it. Hats off to him!!

sassyrel

Reaction score
Think you could have backed the backhoe up a little more on the trailer and that way it put more weight on the tires of the trailer than on the back end of the truck

x's 2--shift the weight back--seen soooo many people shift the load wayyy to the front--

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
O and I stand my my original statement . *****

Accept this as your warning...personal attacks are among the very few things NOT tolerated on this board, you have at least three posts that are way out of line!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online