Found what my truck can't tow....

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
That doesn't look smart or safe. Glad I wasnt around to become a statistic!!!

Thad

Oh, and warn me if you pull rigs through KS....I will make sure to aviod the main roads!!! lol

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I just love to see a truck loaded good. I vote for longer trailer and goose neck too.

sootman73

Reaction score
the tag has electric brakes but i dont have a controller(well one that works right). the truck would stop it from the ten mph i was planning on going.

and dont worry if the trip was over thirty miles i would have never even considered it.

oh and i didn't tow it. never would have made it before a u-joint or the carrier bearing went out. they put it behind their F550 PSD. and then we were going 65mph on the expressway. the sad part is that he rode my a$$ with out any problems. i kept thinking that i would have to slow up for him to keep up. Guess i was wrong.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Make Ford idi's proud!!!!! My 1991 f350 srw crew cab 4x4 pulls a 555 4x4 Ford backhoe around town from time to time with 4:10's and zf 5 speed. Maxes boost at 14psi with ATS turbo and 1200 is easy to obtain on pyro. Airbags do wonders at 80psi!! Also 9 ton tri axle seems to distribute weight better than tandem. Good electric brakes a must. I estimate my get up at 21,000lbs not including truck. Yours looks a little heavier!! Awesome pics, laughed my butt off.

sootman73

Reaction score
well i've had some pretty good loads on my truck. when i was big into scrapping there were a few things that lugged the truck down. hauled one of those hydraulic dumpster compactors as scrap. about 17,000 lbs. 1.5hr drive. the other guy with an f150 had like 10,000 with a 5.0 and auto. it took 2 hrs cuz i had to wait for him all the time. the hills on US 12 just killed him while i just layed on the fuel and kept going! LOL

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is were the power lines in question that you needed to clear throughout the path traveled or only where you were trying to back up? If only at one place I would have been inclined to drive the backhoe to a clear spot for loading or unloading rather than drive around with that much tongue weight.
About 28 years ago an idiot son of the owner of a local towing company went out on a police call to tow a disabled motor home. It was too big for the tow truck he was driving but the cop wanted the street cleared now so he hooked to it and away he went. The motor home was so heavy that the front end of the tow truck was bouncing off the ground. Luckily he didn't hit anyone nut just think of the liability if he did. And of course would the cop have any liability in all this? NO!

sootman73

Reaction score
it would have hit power lines if the boom wasn't lowered. anytime you haul a backhoe the boom has to be dropped because it will hit power lines. and you can't have a hydraulic boom just hanging off the back of the trailer which is what would have had to be to have the hoe back farther on the trailer.

we used my truck for loading and unloading at the site however. trying to save some money on the delivery and drop off charges.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out the positioning of the load on the trailer makes a big difference. I was also hauling a large backhoe with my truck. We pulled it on there with the bucket out the rear, and when I got on the interstate, if I did over 45mph, I would start getting the "death sway". I ended up stopping and we took it off and backed it up on the trailer. In this situation it put more tongue weight on the truck, and the "death sway" was cured.

What amazes me is the RV trailers people tow. Some of those things are huge, but they swear by those load distribution hitches. I suppose you can't run the special hitches on a flatbed because the weight varies too much(loaded and unloaded)?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
load distribution is truley the difference between a safe haul and total disaster.....honestly, in the above discussion I think he could have pulled the whole load no problem with a longer trailer and a little better distribution....not that it would have been totally safe, but could have been done. Take the same load, shorten the trailer or move the load further forward and he could have easily destroyed the truck - quite literally

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
load position is as important as the size of the load you are hauling. I had a set of counter weights from an 80 ton crane on a tractor with a pintle style tridem axle tag trailer. If the counterweights were all the way to the back of the trailer (where one of the greenhorns put them), the drive tires of the tractor would have little to no traction. Stand on the brakes and the tires would slide, and give 'r the gears and she would just spin the tires.

In a hard braking situation, the 15 ton counterweights would cause the tractor drive tires to skid, and overload the brakes on the tag SERIOUSLY reducing the braking distance!!

I put the counterweights and outrigger plates 1/4 of the way back on the tag...problem solved. Same amount of weight, different positioning.

It's not hard usually, but it can be a science.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 277 cat skid steer with my truck quite often. I have a utility bed so i cant pull a goose neck. gross is about 26000 and my truck does pretty good as long as the trailer brakes work.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother just weighed his truck (07 GMC 2500HD 4x4, D-max) w/ 25ft gooseneck and dads Johndeere backhoe, was right at 32K. Thats the same as my truck with the 350bushel goosneck dump full of beans, I can pull that just fine. A little slow, but it'll get there.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had JD310 hoe that I pulled with my HD250 all the time. 3 axle trailer so weight was dist. pretty well. Getting going was slow but stopping was the real challenge. Some of us buy trucks for work, not soccer games. Boom overhang would have been like a target for "the man". LOL! Sometimes ya do what ya gotta do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance